Jul 21, 2020
No offence to anything but the suggestions are getting weirder and wilder LMAO

Tigrinus catfish with a zebra pleco, loach with a lungfish…HMMMM

my suggestions would be:

1. Florida gar instead of alligator gar

2. Peacock eel instead of fire eel

3. Kelberi bass instead of temensis bass

4. Marbled goby instead of apurensis catfish

Take my example given, marbled goby and apurensis catfish. both look quite similar, both are ambush predators, have relatively similar activity levels.

dojo loach and a lungfish…imagine going to a fish store looking for a lungfish and pulling up with a loach instead lmao ?

9A8C82AF-044E-43D5-A5F9-6362AB6E444E.jpeg

D5EAE9EB-FF9D-4B1F-8DBC-E09C5243FE12.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
No offence to anything but the suggestions are getting weirder and wilder LMAO

Tigrinus catfish with a zebra pleco, loach with a lungfish…HMMMM

my suggestions would be:

1. Florida gar instead of alligator gar

2. Peacock eel instead of fire eel

3. Kelberi bass instead of temensis bass

4. Marbled goby instead of apurensis catfish

Take my example given, marbled goby and apurensis catfish. both look quite similar, both are ambush predators, have relatively similar activity levels.

dojo loach and a lungfish…imagine going to a fish store looking for a lungfish and pulling up with a loach instead lmao ?

View attachment 1489891

View attachment 1489892
I've kept both of these and never really thought about how similar they are in lifestyle and behaviour, but the resemblance is actually quite startling. Even their colouration is not too dissimilar.

I love 'em both...but there's one problem with respect to this thread. Their similarities extend to include their maximum size, and neither is a "miniature" substitute for the other; they're both tankbusters that grow to 20 inches and beyond.

But...carry on with the silliness...:)

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I've kept both of these and never really thought about how similar they are in lifestyle and behaviour, but the resemblance is actually quite startling. Even their colouration is not too dissimilar.

I love 'em both...but there's one problem with respect to this thread. Their similarities extend to include their maximum size, and neither is a "miniature" substitute for the other; they're both tankbusters that grow to 20 inches and beyond.

Oh I see. I thought marble gobies usually reach 12-14”. My bad then!

another tank buster I just thought of:

hydrolycus tatauaia instead of hydrolycus amaratus

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe

still better comparison than lungfish and dojo loach...

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
1647102698263.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworm_eel
May I introduce you to the world of Chaudhuriidae? Also known as the earthworm or spineless eels. They are incredibly rare. However, they are very similar (and related) to spiny eels. I do not believe they've ever been recorded at 3" or more. That being said, they are fairly obscure. I'd say they would make good substitutes for even the smallest of spiny eels.

https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/product/garo-khajuriai/
You can buy one species here, but don't rely on them being in stock.

Reactions: latapy10
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store