C. Regani "tapajos" possible spawning behavior

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Yes, there are indeed Crenicichla regani from the Rio Negro, in fact, in the UK, these are the ones most available, I've just got 100 youngsters from my latest pair. I will try to supply some pictures later this week.
The C.notopthalmus I have 2 different lots of, the first are the standard Notos which ca me from a local lfs and I have 5 of, the second came in as C.regani (purus), but on looking them up in my book, they are described as C.notopthalmus (purus) , I've still not entirely hung my hat on that one, as I only have one female and 6 males !!

You can't beat other dwarf cichlid keepers coming in on this, the more we have, the more we learn.
I'm currently, and began this sear h around 25 years ago, trying g to establish just how, if it does , does ph affect sex ratios in spawns of C.regani and Notopthalmus, I think, from my findings and others to date, that a low ph gives more females, a higher ph, over 7ph, gives more males, I've also found this with Uaru amphiocanthoides, what say you.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Species orinoco dwarf have been around lately. They are supposed to be smaller than regani when grown. Share pics!
I'm not sure she actually was an Orinoco dwarf, much you your female, her dorsal spot started changing ... in my case color, from white rimmed ocelli to orange which is a Colombian Wallacii trait.

Reactions: mrrobxc

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
If you have any pics of those Rio Negro regani, I'd love to take a gander at them perhaps in another thread? Years of keeping and studying these fish, I've never seen regani from there before.

Yeah, on another forum the joke was, if you ask what to keep in a tank, I would answer dwarf pikes and Laetacara ... *lol* I also love Eartheaters and Westies though as well.

Temp affects sex ratios in Apistos and others, pH in certain Westies and others so it's certainly a possibility.

And yeah, in the states outside of Seattle. So you get more access to these little beasties than we do.

Does you one with the red dorsal look a bit like this one?

Reactions: softturtle

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Yes, there are indeed Crenicichla regani from the Rio Negro, in fact, in the UK, these are the ones most available, I've just got 100 youngsters from my latest pair. I will try to supply some pictures later this week.
The C.notopthalmus I have 2 different lots of, the first are the standard Notos which ca me from a local lfs and I have 5 of, the second came in as C.regani (purus), but on looking them up in my book, they are described as C.notopthalmus (purus) , I've still not entirely hung my hat on that one, as I only have one female and 6 males !!

You can't beat other dwarf cichlid keepers coming in on this, the more we have, the more we learn.
I'm currently, and began this sear h around 25 years ago, trying g to establish just how, if it does , does ph affect sex ratios in spawns of C.regani and Notopthalmus, I think, from my findings and others to date, that a low ph gives more females, a higher ph, over 7ph, gives more males, I've also found this with Uaru amphiocanthoides, what say you.
I don't breed them. They are in large displays. I have 2 pairs of regani that are bonded but they have no where to breed since j keep the floor uncluttered with wood or debris for my hystrix ray.

My 2 notophthalmus are not bonded at the moment.

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
No chris , the female I have has the red colour all over the dorsal fin, and it goes right down to the top of the body, it gen has a darker red ring in the usual spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store