USPS LIVE FISH

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I am breeding cichlids and I have many interested people who want it out of state. Bagging and securing the fish is not a problem for me but the issue is shipping it.

It would be overnight shipping through USPS. I asked some buddies and they told me when they ask if they have anything liquid and perishable inside they always said NO when shipping fish. I watched a lot of youtube videos and many said just say NO when questioned.

How do you guys do it?

Also going to airport can work for me but not sure how that works if they inspect whats inside and this and that.

I did a lot of research but mainly everyone has information on how to BAG the fish and not the shipping process.

I want to use USPS but willing to broaden my options. If someone can guide me please let me know. I don't want to fast my fish for 2-3 days bag them and bring it to the post office where they are going to say sorry buddy. I did ask one lady before when I was shipping out a car part if I can ship fish she laughed and said NO lol

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
I was shipping 3 rays with the USPS and they were lost and never recovered. They do nothing to help out and its a hassle to get your money even with buying insurance on the package. FedEx is more expensive but never any issues. Airport to airport is the way to go if your close to one.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I was shipping 3 rays with the USPS and they were lost and never recovered. They do nothing to help out and its a hassle to get your money even with buying insurance on the package. FedEx is more expensive but never any issues. Airport to airport is the way to go if your close to one.
Im 30 minutes away from the airport. Just don't know how it works and want to know from someone. Do I seal it all so no one can open it or do I let them inspect it first and then seal it properly.

I'd rather do airport but time restrains me also. I would rather do FEDEX then if its more reliable.

Do they go buy weight and dimensions mainly? Do they inspect it?

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
You have to contact the carrier I think 2 days prior to shipping live animals. I use Delta cargo. They ask for package dimensions and weight. Pick your departure and destination and they give you and estimated cost. Fish should be packed and ready to go. They get actual weight there, put some live fish stickers on it. You get a tracking number and it goes. Real easy. You also need to provide information on the person picking up the package.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Fedex is the most reliable. USPS and UPS are generally ok but kinda hit or miss in my experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store