my 125 gallon Central American cichlid tank

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I

I agree on brown algae. I actually like some algae in my tanks. But how does it grow at 0 nitrate? In a cycled tank you should have some nitrate. I wish I could keep mine down from 20ppm even though it's safe.
I have 30 liters of Pond Matrix in the wet part of my sump. It works as advertised. My nitrate would get up around 20 ppm between water changes, but as the Matrix matured, it slowly went down to 0 over the course of a month. If I had a much higher bio load, I might start to see nitrate again. I've let the tank go as long as 10 days, still 0 nitrate.

Reactions: cichlidfish

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I have 30 liters of Pond Matrix in the wet part of my sump. It works as advertised. My nitrate would get up around 20 ppm between water changes, but as the Matrix matured, it slowly went down to 0 over the course of a month. If I had a much higher bio load, I might start to see nitrate again. I've let the tank go as long as 10 days, still 0 nitrate.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to look into this.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I should also say, it's not as if the tank no longer produces nitrate. The waste still goes through the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate cycle. The anaerobic bacteria consumes the nitrate, but it doesn't happen instantly. There is still a little nitrate available to plants and algae. It just never reaches a high enough concentration show on the test kit.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I should also say, it's not as if the tank no longer produces nitrate. The waste still goes through the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate cycle. The anaerobic bacteria consumes the nitrate, but it doesn't happen instantly. There is still a little nitrate available to plants and algae. It just never reaches a high enough concentration show on the test kit.
Thanks. Makes sense, algae doesn't need much nutrients to grow. I think my tank is slightly overstocked too. I am considering making changes and thinning out the stock.

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
My only complaint with sand is that it scratches the tank if your not super carful. I have scratched my glass 125g in several places over the years.

That gravel you posted looks really fine. I think it would be fine, but there is just something about sand sifters sifting sand...you may miss it!

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
That gravel you posted looks really fine. I think it would be fine, but there is just something about sand sifters sifting sand...you may miss it!
I know, I agree. That's why I'm talking about re-homing them. Then of course it begs the question of whether they will be better off in their new "home"... my preference is to keep the fish I have, with the new gravel.

I also want to say, I'm just getting back into the hobby after like 6 years away, and I'd say I'm still figuring things out. I went into this initial setup knowing it may not be permanent. I'm not afraid to make changes, even drastic ones. Re-homing the Thorichthys isn't out of the question for me, as much as I like them.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
My only complaint with sand is that it scratches the tank if your not super carful. I have scratched my glass 125g in several places over the years.

I agree. I use sand and it's hard to scrub the sides w/ out scratching. Never had this issue w/ gravel.

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Adam, one thing I would suggest is to wait until the Thorichthys breed if you can. I can't tell you how many times I have had a fish, moved them on before they spawned. I always repurchase them at a later date so that I can spawn them.

Even though its a PITA to clean the glass. I don't think I will ever move away from sand. I do like when people mix sand and fine gravel.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
A sand and large gravel mix is a safer option for thorichthys. The gravel does add interest to the substrate and creates a natural feel.I used to have that combo before moving my helleri to my 7x2x2 as below.

_20160608_215033.JPG

Another tip for algea is work with it.I hear so many people complaining about algea in their tank.I love the stuff.It creates a very healthy environment and managed well can create a very natural and pleasing effect.

There were no plants in the tank below just algea.

_20160608_215308.JPG

Scratches will occur on the glass,it's inevitable. It does not matter how carefull you are it happens.Over the years I have found old credit cards the most reliable way to remove algea from the front glass with out leaving scratches.
I try not to use algea magnets or sponge scourers with tanks with sand in.

Adam I can't believe your considering moving on those mixtecos. I would give them time.
They may not be impressing you that much now but when they are fully mature and your males are approaching 7inches they will look magnificent.
Here is my biggest male.

DSC_0197.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG

Don't do it mate you'll regret it.

Reactions: bkfamus and Jason_S

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks for the comments. I've tried the credit card approach, doesn't really work as well as I'd like. I find that my fingers work best.

My #1 goal in getting back into the hobby was to have care-free maintenance. I'm not getting that with the fine sand.

And I don't want scratches. With gravel, they can be avoided. I had a bad scratch on my last tank that was caused by me wiping that tank carelessly ... it had sand.

I also ready have some large gravel/small rocks, they are just hard to see because the fine sand spit out by the mixtecos keeps burying them, plus there are not that many, and they are mostly around the big rocks.

They may not be impressing you that much now but when they are fully mature and your males are approaching 7inches they will look magnificent.
It's not about me not liking the fish. It's just about the substrate and whether I think the fish are compatible with the fine gravel or not. In retrospect I should have stuck with my original thought of not doing sand and picked compatible fish.

I just became enamored with Thorichthys (still am), and decided to go for it anyway. Actually, it's all your fault for having such beautiful fish. :p

Not sure what I'm going to do, won't act for at least a week. More opinions welcome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store