DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Did you drill a hole with a piece of airline tube ? I was told to do that I'm gnna have to see how it works lol
Doing that should help. I liked the Herbie since I had a lot going on in my overflow and the straight stand pipes allowed for more room.

Done right it can be really quiet as well. Slimecoat's picture is what it would typically look like.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
You basically have a siphon drain which is your main drain. On the siphon drain you'll put a gate valve so you can easily adjust it. The em drain doesnt have to go througj the filter sock because in a perfect world it will never be used. The purpose of the e drain is to take on flow in the event your siphon drain gets clogged. That way the main tank wont flood.

What size plumbing are you using and what gph is your pump rated for ?

I havent set up a herbie yet so take any advice i give witha grain of salt. Have been researching it forever though lol for an upcoming set up.
Thanks bro, my main drain pipe is 1.25" and the emergency is .75"
And the pump I got says

image.jpg

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Doing that should help. I liked the Herbie since I had a lot going on in my overflow and the straight stand pipes allowed for more room.

Done right it can be really quiet as well. Slimecoat's picture is what it would typically look like.
I will try it like this then if I don't like it I will do the herbie method for sure ! I probably will only keep my heaters in the overflow and nothing else

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Most put the heaters in the sump, me included. Why not try that rather than overflow?

I have 3 stand pipes, and a split return, and a dry pipe for wires/cables, was what I meant by a lot going on btw. Equipment all in sump.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Most put the heaters in the sump, me included. Why not try that rather than overflow?

I have 3 stand pipes, and a split return, and a dry pipe for wires/cables, was what I meant by a lot going on btw. Equipment all in sump.

Keep us posted.
Yes everyone I seen has their heaters in the sump but I have a lot of media I want to stuff in my sump that's why I figured I'd keep heater in the overflow.

Thanks to @munchies he's going to help me on Tuesday with my sump and I'll keep everyone posted. I'm glad I'm getting help setting it up since I've never done before.
For now thanks for everyone's input and have happy holidays with your loved ones

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks bro, my main drain pipe is 1.25" and the emergency is .75"
And the pump I got says

View attachment 1220776

I could be wrong so let someone else like DN328 DN328 or slippery slimecoat slippery slimecoat chime in but if you were to try the herbie set up you would probably have to wither swap the E drain and siphon/main drain or drill the siphon/main drain to a larger size.

The e drain has to tak on what ever flow your main drain and pump can throw at it. Smaller e drain being gravity fed will probably take on less.

I plan on matching the gph from my pump to the E drains then adjusting the siphon drain accordingly. Again could be wrong

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I could be wrong so let someone else like DN328 DN328 or slippery slimecoat slippery slimecoat chime in but if you were to try the herbie set up you would probably have to wither swap the E drain and siphon/main drain or drill the siphon/main drain to a larger size.

The e drain has to tak on what ever flow your main drain and pump can throw at it. Smaller e drain being gravity fed will probably take on less.

I plan on matching the gph from my pump to the E drains then adjusting the siphon drain accordingly. Again could be wrong
This is definitely true to have the most fail safe system possible. I took a risk by setting mine up using the larger drain as my main to get a higher turnover. It doesn't look like the OP's pump would be able to utilize all of the flow from the larger drain anyway, so really no reason not to use the smaller pipe as the main drain.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
This is definitely true to have the most fail safe system possible. I took a risk by setting mine up using the larger drain as my main to get a higher turnover. It doesn't look like the OP's pump would be able to utilize all of the flow from the larger drain anyway, so really no reason not to use the smaller pipe as the main drain.
So I should switch my main drain to a smaller piping then so my pump can handle it right ? Reason I used that size was bc that's the size of the hole that was there when I bought it

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Here's an update
I transferred my fish and have the tank running on my Cannister and ac110
Tomorrow I will get the sump going hopefully

IMG_7340.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG

Reactions: M@T!@$ and jaws7777

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Here's some pics of the water a little bit more clear, still haven't received my divider I need for my sump but once it arrives I hope to get sump on asap. They are very skittish still and stressed out, I'm hoping they are back to normal next few days or else I will consider some dithers to help them loosen up a bit. They weren't this bad in my previous tank

IMG_7346.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store