Question about my oscar

RajaVino

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
India
View attachment 1257588 I edited your photo a bit, to aid others who try to help.
Its absolutely white spot. U can try the remedy Methaline blue + salt +heater = healthy fish which was given by one bro. In India we are normally using this. Unless let u try another remedy salt and heater. If ur fish is active let u try second remedy. If its not active and taking food try first remedy.

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
And don't add all the salt at once. Some fish will need to acclimate, so spread the salt over a period of 8-12 hours.

Once you reach the required salt level, if you top up the tank (adding fresh water), don't add more salt. But if you do a water change, you will need to replace the lost salt.

Watch for distress...fish staying at the surface, very rapid gill movements, etc. Aeration will handle some of that.

It's impossible so say if the Oscar came with the ich (only one fish in the tank would reduce the outbreak to an extant.) Of course, one or more of the other 3 fish could have brought it.
So for my 75 gal I should put in 15 tbsp over the course of 12 hours?? Do I need to do this regularly or just after a water change ?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
1 tablespoon per gallon = 4.5 ppm. What you want is at least 3 ppm. The exact measurement is 2 tsp per 5 gallon, but since all the ich might not be eradicated if it's slightly below 3 ppm, people round up a bit for obvious reasons. Since most fish can handle 5 ppm if it's raised slowly, there's a tendency to use the higher amount.

Your goal is to keep the level at 5 ppm, but not under no case should it be lower than 3 ppm. Evaporation raises it; so adding back water lowers it back to the target level.

Therefore, you are NOT supposed to add salt "regularly." Once you hit the target level, you should only add salt after you remove water, and in that case only in proportion to the amount of water you removed and replaced. E.g., if you take out 20 gallons, when you add back 20 gallons, add 4 tablespoons of salt, etc. If instead you top up the tank due to evaporation, you don't add salt.

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
1 tablespoon per gallon = 4.5 ppm. What you want is at least 3 ppm. The exact measurement is 2 tsp per 5 gallon, but since all the ich might not be eradicated if it's slightly below 3 ppm, people round up a bit for obvious reasons. Since most fish can handle 5 ppm if it's raised slowly, there's a tendency to use the higher amount.

Your goal is to keep the level at 5 ppm, but not under no case should it be lower than 3 ppm. Evaporation raises it; so adding back water lowers it back to the target level.

Therefore, you are NOT supposed to add salt "regularly." Once you hit the target level, you should only add salt after you remove water, and in that case only in proportion to the amount of water you removed and replaced. E.g., if you take out 20 gallons, when you add back 20 gallons, add 4 tablespoons of salt, etc. If instead you top up the tank due to evaporation, you don't add salt.
I added 2 tablespoons to start at about 2 o clock.. so add a couple more around 4o clock.. also my royal clown knife did not seem to enjoy the salt since he is scaleless. Would he be fine in an African tank that has hard water? He's about 8 inches

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After reaching your goal of 3ppt (parts per thousand) it is good to do water changes, (replacing salt in the make up water) where you vacuum the substrate. Each spot on your fish will erupt into up to 100 new cysts, and these fall to the substrate for a brief period. If your salinity concentration is high enough, these erupting ick will die. If not, they will reinfect. Vacuuming the substrate removes them (vacuuming with on of those battery operated vacs does not get rid of them). You need to siphon, and discard that water.
It often takes a couple weeks of treatment to rid the tank of all ick. When the spots are on the fish, they are immune to treatment, its only when they hatch out, they are vulnerable.

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
After reaching your goal of 3ppt (parts per thousand) it is good to do water changes, (replacing salt in the make up water) where you vacuum the substrate. Each spot on your fish will erupt into up to 100 new cysts, and these fall to the substrate for a brief period. If your salinity concentration is high enough, these erupting ick will die. If not, they will reinfect. Vacuuming the substrate removes them (vacuuming with on of those battery operated vacs does not get rid of them). You need to siphon, and discard that water.
It often takes a couple weeks of treatment to rid the tank of all ick. When the spots are on the fish, they are immune to treatment, its only when they hatch out, they are vulnerable.
So it would be a good idea to buy something at my lfs that measure salinity?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
1 tablespoon per gallon = 4.5 ppt. What you want is at least 3 ppt. The exact measurement is 2 tsp per gallon, but since all the ich might not be eradicated if it's slightly below 3 ppt, people round up a bit for obvious reasons. Since most fish can handle 5 ppt if it's raised slowly, there's a tendency to use the higher amount.

Therefore, you are NOT supposed to add salt "regularly." Once you hit the target level, you should only add salt after you remove water, and in that case only in proportion to the amount of water you removed and replaced. E.g., if you take out 20 gallons, when you add back 20 gallons, add 20 tablespoons of salt, etc. If instead you top up the tank due to evaporation, you don't add salt.
Edited this from post 23...

1 tbl salt =17.08 grams
1 gallon water = 3785.1 grams
ratio is 4.5 ppt

The salt can be dissolved in some tank water first before pouring it into the tank.

Last edited:

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Also can I just drop the salt in or should it be evaporated first?
I didn't catch what you said earlier.

It's not 1 tbl per 5 gallons. It's 1 per gallon. The minimum is 2 tsp per gallon. You get 16 tbl per cup, so 75 gallons needs around slightly less than 4.75 cups.

As for the knife, someone else will have to answer that. I'm not sure if it was bothered by 2 tbl in 75 gallons of water, but others can answer.

Last edited:

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
I didn't catch what you said earlier.

It's not 1 tbl per 5 gallons. It's 1 per gallon. The minimum is 2 tsp per gallon. You get 16 tbl per cup, so 75 gallons needs around slightly less than 4.75 cups.

As for the knife, someone else will have to answer that.
Thanks for all the help I have started treatment and hopefully this will work out. I put some salt in without dissolving it Is it okay to do it that way

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store