Salminus Franciscanus (Golden Dorado)

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
This one is a sweet pic you captured with the yawn kendragon kendragon I zoomed in and lightened the pic look at the gold underbelly.
These guys must look so much nicer in person
EF922E4B-3046-44EE-837A-A878A8D9F838.jpeg

3700D773-59FD-417A-B3D6-830663FF8851.jpeg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks!
They're yawning because the water is bad. After all these years of fish keeping, I've learned to speak fish. Vacuumed out a bunch of pellet bits behind the wood.

Reactions: cigars and moe214

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
2017 RECAP

I want to take this opportunity to give a pictorial summary of the year starting with the purchase of my dorados in March 2017 from Wes. Since Profitbucket blanked out all my photos from the start of the thread, I've captured some of them in this post.

March 2017 4" - 5"
Mar.jpg
Mar1.jpg
Mar2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 2017
Apr2.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 2017
May.jpg

June 2017
Jun3.jpg
July 2017
Jul1.jpg

August 2017
Aug.jpg
Aug1.jpg

September 2017
Sept.jpg

October 2017
Oct.JPG

November 2017
Nov.JPG

December 2017 13"-14"
Dec.JPG

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Amazing growth and they look great. Really curious to see how they do over the next year.
They have done well thus far. I know what you're thinking. Only time will tell.

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
Hi ken I see your dorado are looking nice and chunky and have grown fast, I think mine is salmonus Franciscanus are you able to confirm. Also there’s a lot of discussions on how gold dorado get because you see a lot of these bright all gold fish being caught by fishermen in the wild wether it’s a really bright yellow or dark orange but covered all over they’re body with none or hardly any silver but I’m yet to see this in the aquarium, what’s your opinions or hopes for your guys.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hi ken I see your dorado are looking nice and chunky and have grown fast, I think mine is salmonus Franciscanus are you able to confirm. Also there’s a lot of discussions on how gold dorado get because you see a lot of these bright all gold fish being caught by fishermen in the wild wether it’s a really bright yellow or dark orange but covered all over they’re body with none or hardly any silver but I’m yet to see this in the aquarium, what’s your opinions or hopes for your guys.
Yours is a Frankie like mine.
I posted a dorado chart in Nov on this thread. You can see that the colors you're describing is that of a Brassie. In the fish keeping hobby, it is the keeper that controls the outcome. That is the joy of it. Hope to get mine to a bigger size. If nothing happens after a year than I may get rid of them and try something else. Life's too short and so many fish out there to have.

Reactions: cigars

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yours is a Frankie like mine.
I posted a dorado chart in Nov on this thread. You can see that the colors you're describing is that of a Brassie. In the fish keeping hobby, it is the keeper that controls the outcome. That is the joy of it. Hope to get mine to a bigger size. If nothing happens after a year than I may get rid of them and try something else. Life's too short and so many fish out there to have.
I think the main theory on coloring is exposure to sunlight. Personally I think it may just come with age because all the fish that are gold are huge. I've yet to see a dorado that big in captivity, and who knows how old those dorado are

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
I think the main theory on coloring is exposure to sunlight. Personally I think it may just come with age because all the fish that are gold are huge. I've yet to see a dorado that big in captivity, and who knows how old those dorado are
Ye i thought type, size and age but then photos confuse that theory abit

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Ye i thought type, size and age but then photos confuse that theory abit
Well brassies get golder than Frankie's but Frankie's get gold as well. I wouldn't say size because different growth rates aren't rare and difference in gold coloring of same size isn't either, you can have 1' specimen be more gold than a 18" one. That's where the age factor can fall short. That's why sun light is the leading theory imo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store