Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

*ROCK*

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2018
Did you guys hear the latest about that bar in Chicago that banned MAGA hats and face tattoos? So, it's only a couple days later and the bar has completely retracted that statement, apologized, and now welcomes everyone. Also the owner of the Red Hen, (restaurant owner who booted S Sanders) has resigned as leader of some business group she's a part of.
I like it.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
My dislike of D. Trump predates even his attack of Obama's lack of birth certificate. He has fought environmental efforts in NYS and NYC since before I was born. He has fought Bloomberg, who is a hero of mine. When Obama was running against McCain, I was a conservative, because everyone around me was, and I had not yet started my personal journey towards Liberalism, Federalism and whatever other political ideas I now have. (I also know my journey is not yet over, but this is where I stand now.) Even then, I was disgusted by this brash person who thought he was richer than he was, attacking the President over foolishness so openly. I must also admit that some of it is racist - he is white, blond, blue eyed has a German name and German ancestry - not something to endear him to me. Furthermore, his-far-from dignified manner of speech and way of conducting himself makes him go towards the bottom of the list of people I want representing me, or America.

However, his presidency reminds me greatly of one of my favorite presidents - TR. He has shown himself to be competent with Israel, Korea and China. I don't understand what he gained in his Iran deal, and wish he would preserve NAFTA (maybe modify it, but preserve it), and wish he would be more environmentally conscious, but I must admit that he seems to be doing a good job. I do not think Hillary Clinton (who I voted for) could do a good job, but who knows? I must say that I hoped (and expected) Clinton to win NY, but Trump to win the election. (That is what happened)

So I dislike Trump personally, I dislike the States' Rights, isolationism, environmental carelessness, in-fighting and reactionism he has come to stand for, I dislike the way he talks, his lack of dignity.... I couldn't vote for him. However, I must admit that he seems to be doing a good job, and that it is likely that he will go down as a really good president who did a lot of good.

Am I wrong? Maybe. But these are my feelings, if it helps you understand.
Never wrong for how you feel, and I respect you for wording it as such.

When I was younger I leaned a lil more to the left but as I aged things changed.

Churchill said that if your young and not a liberal you don't have a heart. If your old and not a concervative you don't have a brain. Or something like that. Maybe there's some truth to it who knows.

I also grew up in NYC and I remember Trump and sharpton being friends even that bum Don king.

Is a trump a good guy ? Probably not would I want someone like him to marryy daughter hell no but that ends there. He has a job to do and Imo he's doing it better than any president has done in my adult life.

The Iran deal was an absolute horror show. I won't post links or say why but if you look at it from an American view (not a global view) it should have never happened.

You almost have to look at what these guys do and always say how does this benefit me ? Maybe idealistically it doesaybe in a perfect world it all makes sense but does Obama care really help me ? Does an emissions tax help me ? Does saying that your son could have been travon Martin help race relations (regardless of what really happened) does the president of the U.S supporting BLM help my community ?

Either way bro your good in my book, your a well spoken young man who I feel over time can be nudged in the right direction (lol you see what I did there RIGHT wing DIRECTION)

This is good to see, here in oz we keep hearing how America is so irreparably
divided over mr trump. If you guys (U.S citizens, not you individually) can remain civil, explain yourselves rationally and agree that it's posdible you aren't always 100% right then there is hope.
Not sure why I have been so interested in this thread since you all got so political but it's interesting for an outsider to hear things straight from the horses mouth not filtered through the media I guess.

Another question, are you Americans interested in the soccer World Cup at the moment? Haven't seen any of you mention it, australia got knocked out of it last night so am cursing.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Did you guys hear the latest about that bar in Chicago that banned MAGA hats and face tattoos? So, it's only a couple days later and the bar has completely retracted that statement, apologized, and now welcomes everyone. Also the owner of the Red Hen, (restaurant owner who booted S Sanders) has resigned as leader of some business group she's a part of.
I like it.
Do you think any business should be able to serve or refuse to serve anyone they choose?
I sort of think so but where will it end? Obviously if you choose not to serve a certain race or religion it's illegal but if its your shop/bar/LFS surely it's your choice who you let into the place.
As a customer I would choose not to go to that bar if I had a face tat or trump hat even though they have now changed the rules, I'm sure there's plenty of other places that would be happy to take my cash. It's weird, like the *** guys fighting the baker over the wedding cake, why did they make a fuss and not just go to another baker. I can understand they were annoyed but money talks and not many small independent businesses can afford to lose business, if they want to add to their troubles by restricting customers then they should be free to do so and anyone offended by their practices can stand out the front and laugh when they put up the "going out of business" sign.

Reactions: J. H.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I just saw on the local news that a shop in this area now serves rainbow pizza.
It has some kind of edible(?) glitter dumped on top of the regular toppings....I think I'll pass and stick with sausage or pepperoni.

Reactions: J. H.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
are you Americans interested in the soccer World Cup
Hello; I do not know of anyone who follows the World Cup.

It's weird, like the *** guys fighting the baker over the wedding cake, why did they make a fuss and not just go to another baker.
Hello; The fuss was raised because they wanted more than a cake. They were pushing an agenda.

Do you think any business should be able to serve or refuse to serve anyone they choose?
Hello; Yes I do. Poor business practice I suppose but if you own a place then it should be your call.
Obviously if you choose not to serve a certain race or religion it's illegal but if its your shop/bar/LFS surely it's your choice who you let into the place.
Hello; Again it should be the shop owners call even for race and religion. I do not run a business so have not faced such a decision.
Here is an example that might be useful. Has nothing to do with race nor religion. An older man many years ago had a very small fish shop in his basement. His house was situated on a hill side above Harlan KY. Many steps and a narrow sidewalk. Now some have argued that he should have made the place handicap accessable even tho there was no practical way to do this and the old guy did not have the money.
I am not saying he was against a person who happened to be in a chair, just that he only had a bit of room in the basement and no way to change things.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
This is good to see, here in oz we keep hearing how America is so irreparably
divided over mr trump. If you guys (U.S citizens, not you individually) can remain civil, explain yourselves rationally and agree that it's posdible you aren't always 100% right then there is hope.
Not sure why I have been so interested in this thread since you all got so political but it's interesting for an outsider to hear things straight from the horses mouth not filtered through the media I guess.

Another question, are you Americans interested in the soccer World Cup at the moment? Haven't seen any of you mention it, australia got knocked out of it last night so am cursing.
The division in the U.S hasn't always been this bad. Different ideas are ok. I think it gets muddled by the media and not being fully informed.
Super pacs are a big problem too.

I sort of think so but where will it end? Obviously if you choose not to serve a certain race or religion it's illegal but if its your shop/bar/LFS surely it's your choice who you let into the place.
As a customer I would choose not to go to that bar if I had a face tat or trump hat even though they have now changed the rules, I'm sure there's plenty of other places that would be happy to take my cash. It's weird, like the *** guys fighting the baker over the wedding cake, why did they make a fuss and not just go to another baker. I can understand they were annoyed but money talks and not many small independent businesses can afford to lose business, if they want to add to their troubles by restricting customers then they should be free to do so and anyone offended by their practices can stand out the front and laugh when they put up the "going out of business" sign.
I kind of think they should. As long as it's a privately owned business and not something that's a major outlet.

If I owned a business I wouldn't want gang bangers in my establishment.

It's gotten so bad that the NYPD and other law enforcement agemagen aren't allowed to disqualify employment because of prior or family gang offiliation

Reactions: skjl47

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Bloomberg, who is a hero of mine.
Hello; Please do not explain this.

I was a conservative, because everyone around me was, and I had not yet started my personal journey towards Liberalism, Federalism and whatever other political ideas I now have
Hello; Are you perhaps engaging in a little rebellion partially to aggravate the parental units?

But these are my feelings, if it helps you understand
Hello; Fair enough I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store