Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Never go in a cave before rain, rule number one in my book
Hello; back in the 1960's I explored caves with some older fellows. One was doing survey maps of area caves. There was one he wanted to survey but was a wet cave. So we waited till the dead of winter when the ground was frozen. We still had to go into water about belly button deep to get thru one area. We were stopped a bit later by the cave being totally submerged.
Being soaked in a cave at the low 50's F was not so much fun but coming out into temps in the low 20's F really gets your attention. The second most intense cold I have ever experienced.
I was along mostly as part of a buddy system. We never went into a cave alone. Three was the least we ever did.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Wow,hip deep in ice cold water in a cave...years ago I explored a cave in Puerto Rico.It was up on a hillside which we had to climb about thirty feet in order to reach the opening.I saw a few bats and assorted small animal bones on the ground and as I mentioned before I had no interest in wandering to far away from the mouth of the cave.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are a few caves throughout Pennsylvania that are tourist attractions.I have wanted to visit Krystal Cave since I was a kid.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
There are a few caves throughout Pennsylvania that are tourist attractions.I have wanted to visit Krystal Cave since I was a kid.
Hello; Around here the best know cave system is Mammoth Cave in western KY. I have been on the guided tours twice.
The most challenging cave I was ever in was near where I live. The land was owned by two brothers, Frank and Jessie James. No kidding that was their names.
In the middle of one of their hillside pastures was a small stand of trees. In the center of these trees was a hole about the size of a big door.
We tied about a 150 feet of rope to the bumper of a jeep and repelled down maybe 110 to 120 feet. We each kept a secret from the ones behind us when we hit the bottom. The bottom was piled deep with old bones and one fairly fresh skunk carcass. I guess we each wanted to witness the reaction of the one coming behind us.
We figured that small clump of trees in a large open area looked like a good place to run to for the animals and the hole captured a lot over time. I have no idea how deep the bone pile might have been.
Turned out to not be much of a cave. Not very extensive. We found the limits in a few hours. Did see one thing of interest. There was a skeleton of what likely was a cave rat lying on a narrow ledge. All the flesh was gone and the skeleton was still fully articulated.
Climbing out was hard. We used mountain climbing gear but it was a very physical

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just saw on the news that after a four year investigation local man has been arrested on charges of turtle trafficking. Federal authorities claim that the man has been collecting Diamondbacked Terrapins from marshy areas and selling them online.The man is said to have shipped some of the turtles to locations in Canada.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Just saw on the news that after a four year investigation local man has been arrested on charges of turtle trafficking. Federal authorities claim that the man has been collecting Diamondbacked Terrapins from marshy areas and selling them online.The man is said to have shipped some of the turtles to locations in Canada.
Theres been recent rise with illegal animals out of Europe again. Blue galacts are starting to be offered online and there still being investigated. Animals are smuggled out of Brazil etc issued papers in europe then slipped into the US. Problem is Brazil doesn't issue export papers so if you get caught its a heavy handed fine with other legal consequences.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
I first read about this and some rather scary predictions regarding of oceans fish population a few years ago.I read that China travels as far as Africa in order to catch a decent amount of fish.
The photos I have seen of fish markets around the world are kind of depressing when you consider that a good portion of the fish may not even be eaten.
Also in Canada too. China is the world's version of the schoolyard bully when it comes to stuff like this.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Only been in de a couple of yrs. Son loves to fish so we go all the time. Old timers tell us this used to be prime fishing and peolpe would vacation here for the fishing. Now it's pretty tough they say it was severely over fished and that's just hook and reel can you imagine what's being taken out of the oceans with those huge nets

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Only been in de a couple of yrs. Son loves to fish so we go all the time. Old timers tell us this used to be prime fishing and peolpe would vacation here for the fishing. Now it's pretty tough they say it was severely over fished and that's just hook and reel can you imagine what's being taken out of the oceans with those huge nets
I've even heard that some of the large fishing ships have some kind of vacuum device that pretty much sucks everything up off of the bottom and dumps it onto the ship.I hope that that is not true.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
crazy but only a mater of time before it come up, bestiality be next.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store