Two baby albino channel catfish won’t eat again

Ian Goodwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
About a month ago, I purchased a baby albino channel catfish, and he wouldn’t eat, I did some research and found out he needed a friend, because they school when they are young. After getting another baby albino channel cat, they both started eating, but they would only eat the store bought food, which wasn’t a big deal, about two weeks later, they both stopped eating. I tried to change the temperature in the small pond I had them in, I tried different foods, small live worms, but nothing is working. Anyone have any ideas on what’s happening? Because all my fish are outdoor In home made ponds, thought maybe they needed to have warmer water, so I have them inside in a small bin with a filter and some cover but they still won’t eat. I have a 100 gallon pond, for them when they grow up, so it’s important keep them alive and healthy, any ideas would be appreciated, I really need some input, thanks!

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
I have two in a 1500 gallon pond and that feels a bit small to me. Mine have only stopped eating when the water quality has gone bad or the temperature drops.

An older video of my 1500 before the spring bloom and the water really warmed up you can see the cats looking thiner there.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with what Go_redfish Go_redfish stated about water quality and the size of the pond.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Yeah I'm not trying to crush your plans or anything but an averaged size Channel cat can grow to be around 20lbs. It can get 40-50lbs if it had unlimited clean space and you funneled food in his face all day. 100 gallons isn't as much water as you think it is. Trying to keep an adult in that volume is like trying to stuff a whale into a bathtub.
whale_bath_tub.jpg
Anytime anything is off with your fish, rule number one is check your water quality first. Its the most common reason a fish's health and behavior will go south on you.

Last edited:

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Cute drawing of a whale

Ian Goodwin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2018
Yeah I'm not trying to crush your plans or anything but an averaged size Channel cat can grow to be around 20lbs. It can get 40-50lbs if it had unlimited clean space and you funneled food in his face all day. 100 gallons isn't as much water as you think it is. Trying to keep an adult in that volume is like trying to stuff a whale into a bathtub.
View attachment 1332916
Anytime anything is off with your fish, rule number one is check your water quality first. Its the most common reason a fish's health and behavior will go south on you.
View attachment 1332916
Right now the catfish are only 2 inches, and I’m planning on upgradeing my pond to a 9 by 5 pond(in 2 months), and it’s 7 by 4 right now, also, I know the owner of the pet store, and they told me if the catfish ever outgrew the pond, he had an other client with a 1000 gallon pool pond, that would gladly take them if they ever got over 15 inches. I’m not trying to abuse my fish, I just need help getting my baby albino channel catfish to eat. Any more ideas?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Try rubbing garlic on his food. It has a very strong smell and encourages fish to eat from what I've read.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Have you tried live food? Earthworms are good, night crawlers, red wigglers, crickets, stuff like that. Don't get them wild caught though, they could have any disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store