RC clod buster project

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
So very cool, Steve!

I have no time for such projects, so I'll just have to stick to the manufactured stuff. Although I did make those sheet metal body panels myself
1218171800a.jpg 1218171800.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I keep forgetting how long those cloud buster shocks are... looks seriously sweet!!!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com

Finished all four brackets for the shocks now to get them turned so the caps are not mounted flush against the plates. Tested it out and very pleased with the travel and smoothness of them now. No binding like before and have a solid 5-6" tire movement with each tires while the rest are still on the ground so that should be pretty well ample for what I plan on since I don't plan on doing crawling. Will be brazing the shock mounts as well as bolted so they will be very rigid. Also started on the interior & floor boards. Got the cockpit diamond plate in as well as seat mounts and seat. Moving onto the rest of the diamond plate flooring next.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Working on making my adjustable reinforced link mounts today. Got one side done, still have to do the other. Once these are done then it's just a few more things to do on the scale interior, add some battery mounts, and then I can strip it down again and do the color on the chassis. Originally planned to paint/clear coat it but sent an email for a quote for powder coating. Haven't heard back yet from the place but hoping it will be somewhat affordable as powder coat would be a lot more durable.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Seriously impressive build and attention to detail for a RC thats not a crawler...

Reactions: Steve_C

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Thanks Homer, Appreciate it. Still got some more detail items you will like seeing once they are done. Today I got some parts I ordered (autometer tachometer, steering wheel, MSD bix, shifter, and radiator with dual fans). Should look really scale inside once I get it all done.

Been lots of fine tuning to get the suspension to work the way i want but finally today I have it dialed in. Have the shock mounts redone so that the shocks are now at a bit of a canted angle which is giving it a nice smooth movement with a good deal of travel. Also added a second set of hole in the upper link mounts so that the axle housings sit level without the use of spacers on the bars. Added a flat mount in the bottom of the chassis as well which will serve as a lipo battery mount.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Love the way you mounted the shock limiter strap on as well...

Now im really dying to see videos of this thing when its up and running... looks like it will be an absolute beast!!!

Reactions: Steve_C and FMA4ME
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store