Fish Antibiotics Vet Only in Canada

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
…….. perhaps one of the mods can split this topic?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just keep in mind that the only meds being added to the list, are antibiotics.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...s/actions/responsible-use-antimicrobials.html

• Tiamulin
  • Neomycin
  • Bacitracin
  • Tilmicosin
  • Apramycin
  • Penicillin G
  • Lincomycin
  • Erythromycin
  • Virginiamycin
  • Spectinomycin
  • Sulphonamides
  • Tylosin/Tylvalosin
  • Streptomycin/Dihydrostreptomycin
  • Tetracycline/Chlortetracycline/Oxytetracycline
If you feel the need to stock up, now would be the time. There are still LOTS of meds available to Canadians, especially online.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
RD. RD. The comment you made above about the chinese produced fish foods got me thinking (since i live in Asia) what might be in some of them now...

Especially with a lot of them claiming to have different beneficial qualities...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The food import issues came into law back when I was importing, and distributing food here in Canada. At that time one of the head Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) managers in Canada told me that in order to get any Asian made pet food into Canada that for a starter, the facility need to be inspected by the CFIA. Failure to comply resulted in being banned from Canada. Of course there was still black market imports taking place, from small time non tax paying online sellers, to companies that would cross the US/Canada border, and buy from some of the larger distributors in the US, such as Royal on the East Coast. I posted about that issue in the past thread.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/canadian-food-inspection-regs.306445/

The problem with Asian made products, is they often don't have the same standards as we do in North America. I'm sure that you are well aware of that, so what's in some pets foods made in countries such as China, is anyone's guess. I believe that the melamine fiasco resulted in the factory responsible in China (or at least the one caught) being closed down, and the person running the factory being hung, or shot. At least that's what I read years ago.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Don’t worry Canadians. Just PM me what’s wrong with your fish. I just finished my online vet and Clergy degrees
I ain’t Canadian eh but Mister Dr. Sir, there’s something wrong with my Aro I tell yah, eh! It ain’t Asian I tell yah, eh!

Reactions: islandguy11

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Just keep in mind that the only meds being added to the list, are antibiotics.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...s/actions/responsible-use-antimicrobials.html

• Tiamulin
  • Neomycin
  • Bacitracin
  • Tilmicosin
  • Apramycin
  • Penicillin G
  • Lincomycin
  • Erythromycin
  • Virginiamycin
  • Spectinomycin
  • Sulphonamides
  • Tylosin/Tylvalosin
  • Streptomycin/Dihydrostreptomycin
  • Tetracycline/Chlortetracycline/Oxytetracycline
If you feel the need to stock up, now would be the time. There are still LOTS of meds available to Canadians, especially online.
would kanamycin ( Im thinking with the "ycin" ending, most likely not) and nitrofurazone still be drugs available to aquarists directly??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store