More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
What can I say? The megastar Brick keeps growing...and growing...last measured at 8" on March 1st. Next measurement will be April 1st. I already know he's over 8 already. The dark area of his head is a 'shimmer' effect when he swims.

Beginning to suspect he may have wild strain with this growth...

I can pet him now on his head and top fin. He's just a flappy puppy. :hearts:

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I posted in another thread (Obvious things that slip your mind) the possible resolution to chronic nitrate/nitrite issues with Kong's tank. Moving forward, I will be dealing with Patchs' tank today. She's been laying eggs since Monday...in the sand in piles, and all over the canister. How can any one fish have so many dang eggs?

Anyway, I'll have to remove her and plop her in a bucket. She made it clear I won't get anything done with her in the tank. A few of the eggs have turned white but around 70 percent are still brown. They're all going. There's protein buildup forming as foam at the surface, so looks like a w/c will be in order as well. Even if Patch had a team of plecos in there they couldn't make a dent in all these eggs.

Meanwhile, Brick decided to take a 'leap of faith' out of the tank the other day to grab a pellet. Might give him the high jump award.

A new tactic he tries with Boss is a straight bum rush into the parrots' pot. It goes about as well as his other attempts. He charges in with his mouth open, they crash together then Boss bangs him backwards. Then Brick swims away. My daft O still insists on starting fights he can't finish.

Reactions: jaws7777

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Some days there's a lot going on for the journal. So I've finished with Patchs' tank...cleaning all those eggs out was a chore. They were stuck on the canister like dried grits...and she'd buried mounds of eggs in the sand! :hypnotize

So all done. Both her and Kong have a makeover for their tanks. There are new plants in...no nooks and crannies for crud to collect to make cleaning difficult. Pictures soon of the makeovers.

Kong meanwhile had a fit when he saw Patch missing from her tank...it was the same when she was recovering from ich and I stripped her tank down. Kong went berserk along the glass where their tanks face each other. He watched me the whole time I was working. He seems to settle down when he sees the tank fully up and running, its the 'empty' tank that seems to set him off.

Patch is in a bucket at the moment. I'll let the filters run a bit then plunk her in.

So while I'm working I hear a loud THUNK behind me and a splash. I see a dazed Brick drifting backwards to his side of the tank. Boss was halfway out his pot. Brick has a scrub mark across the side of his head and up top...you can only see it at a certain angle. I have no idea what happened but I think he hit his head against the pot. Now whether Boss had anything to do with it is anyone's guess.

So later I'll do a quick sweep/clean of Chip and Rex's tanks. Just glad the quarantine tanks are small. Tomorrow is W/C for the big tank.

I've also discovered two of my parrots (Patch, Kong) will bury poop in the sand. So traditional cleaning doesn't work...you literally have to siphon/clean the sand like you would gravel. Otherwise the 'nitrate kitchen' will work overtime.

())@&&() crazy ass fish

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
What can I say? The megastar Brick keeps growing...and growing...last measured at 8" on March 1st. Next measurement will be April 1st. I already know he's over 8 already. The dark area of his head is a 'shimmer' effect when he swims.

Beginning to suspect he may have wild strain with this growth...

I can pet him now on his head and top fin. He's just a flappy puppy. :hearts:

View attachment 1364821
He neon glows.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
A small update. Tonight Chip (green severum) and Rex (syno cat) go in the main tank. Everyone has eaten and is settled. They will be introduced in darkness. Currently the fish room is in night mode.

I can now pet Brick along his sides as well. He allows me to tickle his chin...he's something else. Brick grabbed a pellet out of Boss' mouth tonight while he was in the process of swallowing it! They were literally bouncing off each other to get pellets. :ROFL:

Of course, no evening would be complete without Brick starting another fight that he couldn't finish. It's getting pretty pathetic :grinno:! He drifted near the ruler...I know he's probably 9 inches at least now, but Apr 1 is the official measuring day. At that point I'll post the official timeline of his size at various dates. Looking forward to the break from extra quarantine tanks. Still would like to get a nice Geo, or maybe a blue acara down the line (anything Brick can't eat). Then call it a wrap.

Last edited:

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
A small update. Tonight Chip (green severum) and Rex (syno cat) go in the main tank. Everyone has eaten and is settled. They will be introduced in darkness. Currently the fish room is in night mode.

I can now pet Brick along his sides as well. He allows me to tickle his chin...he's something else. Brick grabbed a pellet out of Boss' mouth tonight while he was in the process of swallowing it! They were literally bouncing off each other to get pellets. :ROFL:

Of course, no evening would be complete without Brick starting another fight that he couldn't finish. It's getting pretty pathetic :grinno:! He drifted near the ruler...I know he's probably 9 inches at least now, but Apr 1 is the official measuring day. At that point I'll post the official timeline of his size at various dates. Looking forward to the break from extra quarantine tanks. Still would like to get a nice Geo, or maybe a blue acara down the line (anything Brick can't eat). Then call it a wrap.
Be looking forward to how everyone gets along. I guess you'll be the weekend watcher. I remember you had planned it that way. Hopefully you won't have to referee too much. The much awaited Union of the new fish and the established denizens. Bet it will be real interesting how the new ones are checked out. Are you going to take pictures?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store