More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Nice looking fish. My Yo Yo Loaches grew fast. From 2 inches to 4 in 1½ months. I read they grow fast at first. That's good, I want to add them to my Bichir tank. My Bichirs are about 5½ and friendly. Come on over for lunch. Don't bring anything except yourself.
I often wondered what the growth rate of yo yos are. Maybe someone has a thread somewhere of growth rates of most popular fish.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I often wondered what the growth rate of yo yos are. Maybe someone has a thread somewhere of growth rates of most popular fish.
I just Google which one I am looking for if I don't already know. I check several variable sources and average it. I will check about a chart.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
What I found so far is a fish compatibility chart and several most popular fish lists. Closest I have come a growth chart is a page about cichlids and it said some species (not which) of cichlids can grow as much as 1 inch per month.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
A couple of quick notes. Rex is starting to swim up and 'grab' pellets. He's no longer waiting for food to hit the bottom. He almost scarfed one from my fingers. I'll test that out in the next few days.

Patch decided to sink her teeth into the siphon tube tonight and shake it. She hates it with a passion. Better the tube than my hand. Kong also threw a tantrum when I did a quick clean and hit the glass lid with a loud bang, knocking it open.

To my amazement Chip was solid navy blue tonight! Normally he's a dusky silver with bluish tone and orange lower fin. One black stripe near his tail. For a "green" severum he sports a lot of blue. Even his eye lids look blue from above. If I can catch him in this color phase I'll take a pic. I'm growing more suspicious that he's really a turquoise variant. He's still young so maybe its a juvie phase thing. Severum owners chime in if you know about this.

Reactions: Fishflyer

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Funny situation. I put a second pot in the tank along the back wall of the tank, dead center. It was supposed to be a quiet spot for Rex when he stopped roaming. Wrong! Rex sleeps under plants all over the tank. Boss has decided to make the pot his "vacation" home. I looked tonight and saw a big blotch of orange peeping through the 'jungle' down low. I noticed he was out of his regular pot a lot more and didn't see him under the tree he hangs out at...the sumo parrot has two apartments now! :grinno:

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Of course shouldn't everyone? That's his and that's his. If Brick weren't so tough do you think he would try to go for Brick's place as well? Put it closer to Rex's haunts. Would it make a difference? Get an extra one? I remember a cichlid rule that I followed. More shelters/caves than fish. If one claims another's territory, there is always someplace to go. Severums are cichlids too, but I don't know if their breed likes caves. I will check on that.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Of course shouldn't everyone? That's his and that's his. If Brick weren't so tough do you think he would try to go for Brick's place as well? Put it closer to Rex's haunts. Would it make a difference? Get an extra one? I remember a cichlid rule that I followed. More shelters/caves than fish. If one claims another's territory, there is always someplace to go. Severums are cichlids too, but I don't know if their breed likes caves. I will check on that.
I have a feeling a third pot would give Boss a third option, lol. Rex seems to only prefer the pot on Boss' side...he never bothered with the other one. So for now, Boss has two apartments. He goes back and forth daily.

Its pretty funny Brick will go over and see if Boss is in the original pot but isn't. He doesn't seem to care about the pot right on the edge of his territory where Boss hangs out! Cichlids are kooky.

When the lights are in dusk and night mode, no one seems to care about territory at all. Last night Chip was sleeping with Brick in his favorite spot??? Boss roams the tank, drifting along the current. Rex disappears in the 'jungle'. Brick dozes off under the pothos, his fav location. The "no territory at nigh" rule was in play even with just Boss and Brick in the tank. They would sleep on each other's side.

I actually had the pot on Brick's side where Rex hangs out mostly. He never went near the pot, go figure. Boss checked it out...so I just edged it over to 'neutral' territory. Boss claimed it. So Rex seems happy to go 'freestyle' and sleep under plants. He still doesn't go to Boss' side too much, just sometimes. Chip is allowed to stay on Boss' side now as long as he isn't near the pot. So he's in the grove or the open area behind Boss.

Nobody goes in Boss' original pot, not even Brick (unless they fight and he gets forced into it).

But the great thing is everyone is really getting along pretty well now. Everyone eats like greedy pigs and no one is shy.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Glad you have a happy family now(mostly). I have read Serverums do like caves or driftwood shelters. Read also severums like cooked zucchini and peas as a treat/supplement. Tetra regular (not Pro) Pleco Wafers have Zucchini and soak in a minute or less. I guess Chip likes the Grove or open space as his cave.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Glad you have a happy family now(mostly). I have read Serverums do like caves or driftwood shelters. Read also severums like cooked zucchini and peas as a treat/supplement. Tetra regular (not Pro) Pleco Wafers have Zucchini and soak in a minute or less. I guess Chip likes the Grove or open space as his cave.
I'll try the peas. I think Rex will probably like them as well. Brick loves peas. Boss doesn't like them too much (none of my parrots like them at all). I've got some pleco wafers too but hadn't used them since moving Rex out of quarantine.

I twirled Brick today (slowly) then pushed him sideways. He seems to like it. So I spend a small session with him daily now. When he's had enough he'll swim away and not come back. So I'm done after that. The main thing is to go slow and not seem aggressive.

Last edited:

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Oho very cool. What fun! He may feeling that you gently pushing him doesn't feel at like when Boss pushes him around. He like. He sounds truly like your water puppy. Are you going to teach him how to fetch? Hmm I wonder if that could be done. It seems like Brick likes new things that stimulate him and pique his curiosity to some degree. Sounds like the progress you have made is fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store