1st hand experience vs Care sheets

Whats more helpful

• Total voters

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Not so sure about seriously fish but fishbase is definitely quoting a size for meridionales.

Josh is suggesting that the 20 inch(505mm) has also been reclassified as meriodontales(which is what seriously fish quotes). It seems like this reclassification is a recent event and the info on those "care sheets" all over the net, not just seriouslyfish, is outdated but not incorrect as meriodontales is a sub species of senegalus...

Ok lets take this slow. Where were you able to correct the misinformation?

Again using your care sheets i could decide that i could never house a sen, but run out and purchase an ansorgii and end up with a monster poly living in horrible conditions.

Did you ever see the movie ragging bull ?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
1) im not sure you even know what point your trying to make

2) do you understand what that chart is describing?

3) using your care sheets would stop almost every new poly keeper from keep sens. Do you get that ? Take freds size chart which is much more accurate..... found on a FISH FORUM
!) ?

2) CB -Captive bred
WC-Wild Caught
YWC- Young Wild caught grown in captivity

3) I absolutely never argued that care sheets are the only place to go to. I always check multiple sources, multiple care sheets, multiple forums, scientific papers, everything...if I am interested in particular fish...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah that was my though too. Was very artificial to try and prove an evolutionary theory she had. Not groundbreaking though interesting. Also points to why the Wiki page could lead a potential aquarist down the wrong path. Quote/reference is completely out of context.
Its a real interesting species to keep. I think you would enjoy them. Part of the fun of this section is how little is actually known about them. Catch locations are always great debates.

Some old school mfk poly keepers submitted his collection for DNA studies and the results were really interesting.

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
!) ?

2) CB -Captive bred
WC-Wild Caught
YWC- Young Wild caught grown in captivity

3) I absolutely never argued that care sheets are the only place to go to. I always check multiple sources, multiple care sheets, multiple forums, scientific papers, everything...if I am interested in particular fish...
What point were you trying to make with my comment regarding freds info ?

Unfortunately i had to request all our posts on the dat thread be removed. But im pretty sure your comment was along the lines of care sheets being more accurate than common fish forum chit chat.

So ever see the movie Raging bull ?

Here is a 77cm ansogii for you bud

I think ill request a update on that site and tell them 77cm was just discovered :naughty:
Can you imagine the poor s.o.b who takes fishbase's 28cm max size end ends up with a big ansorgii stuck in the 40 breeder he thought would have been fine lol

• Haha
Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
C Cory

Are you familiar with the bean animal or herbie drain methods ? Where do you think those ideas were conceived?

I could be wrong but im pretty sure santa monicas fresh water algae scrubber started right here on MFK... might be another forum i cant remember

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Ok lets take this slow. Where were you able to correct the misinformation?
Josh posted that sentence in 2017. I don't know how many people have actually taken any notice of it. Up until then the "MFK" size care sheet was also quoting wrong sizes.

This poly sticky below on MFK for example is using the same reference material as fishbase. So the info was again copied across articles and forums...

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/a-visual-reference-to-polypterid-species.72852/

Again using your care sheets i could decide that i could never house a sen, but run out and purchase an ansorgii and end up with a monster poly living in horrible conditions.
Sadly that's more often the case for many fish, even when correct information has been provided.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Mfk had a caresheet ? Does bblondi discuss sizes ?

Im not following you in regards to josh's posts, nothing new here.

No one refers to meridionales when someone asks about sen care, since they are unheard of. Theres one major source for wc polypterus and if someone were to ask about sens sold from him they would be aware if they were collected in turkana.... which in turn the members on this forum would advise correctly.

If your talking about freds size list. Yes the WC size may be off but nothing in that list or on the site to my recollection would stop an uninformed hobbyist from keeping sens.

This is pointless. Your literally proving my point with every post. The answers to the care sheet mistakes were found on a FORUM. If you want to discuss the long list of other mistakes im all ears but the sen topic for me is now pointless.

Imo your way of thinking is a downside of internet forums. I take it you would answer a care related question on a fish you've never kept with a quick google search instead of either admitting you dont know and maybe tagging someone who does

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store