More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sounds like Boss had enough.

Brick keep his distance for a while after a 'lesson.'?

One of my big ones can shift and lift some pretty big things. He is maybe 6 inches. Moves things around to his liking. He would maybe equate to your Kong.
He is Top Dog. Has to have his own tank like Kong. I let him do his thing with the interior. I straighten things every once in a while. Doesn't stay that way long. I didn't post him on your Redecorater thread, because he is isnt a Redecorater, he is a demolition crew all in one. He isnt furious about it. Just very methodical.

Would he qualify? If he does I will put him on there another day.
Brick retreated to his side later and stayed there. Wish I could say it would last but I'm beginning to think this is a feud going back to when Brick was small and got harassed by Boss then.

Kong is both decorator and demolition. If you recall he wrecked the marimo, shredding it to fiber and clogging the filters constantly. I've never seen a fish change his tank like this guy. He definitely likes a plant sprawled across the front of his house like a "door". He managed to push his boulder one time. It was at a different angle from the day before. I think demolition is part of decoration with fish.

Some of Patchs' eggs are turning white now. I siphoned the ones she scattered in the sand and of course she went nuts, nearly jumping out of the water to bite my arm. So Kong sees this and also goes berserk, racing up and down the glass and banging it. (this is the side that faces her tank). I can't do anything to her tank without him having a fit.

I'll have to remove Patch in the next day or two as the rest of the eggs turn white. There's no way I can get anything done with her in there.

I'll be adding 2 more fish this summer to round out the main tank.

Last edited:

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Brick retreated to his side later and stayed there. Wish I could say it would last but I'm beginning to think this is a feud going back to when Brick was small and got harassed by Boss then.

Kong is both decorator and demolition. If you recall he wrecked the marimo, shredding it to fiber and clogging the filters constantly. I've never seen a fish change his tank like this guy. He definitely likes a plant sprawled across the front of his house like a "door". He managed to push his boulder one time. It was at a different angle from the day before.

Some of Patchs' eggs are turning white now. I siphoned the ones she scattered in the sand and of course she went nuts, nearly jumping out of the water to bite my arm. So Kong sees this and also goes berserk, racing up and down the glass and banging it. (this is the side that faces her tank). I can't do anything to her tank without him having a fit.

I'll have to remove Patch in the next day or two as the rest of the eggs turn white. There's no way I can get anything done with her in there.

I'll be adding 2 more fish this summer to round out the tank.
Mmm ouch. Head banging. Someone needs some fish sedatives before you work on Patch's tank. I hope the Peace with lasts a little while. It's a Duel.

Both my cichlids shredded their Marimo balls. I let them have their enjoyment and they like to consume parts of it. I 'd get them another, but it polluted the water and plugged the filters. I basically had to ¾ start over with two tanks not too long ago. Changing ½ the water 3 times and complete clean out of the filters. Shredded fiber every where. Figure out some other toys for them. I will try ping pong balls. Like I said whatever I put in the tank they usually own sooner or later. Maybe I can find a non toxic green ball. The Marimo balls in the Bichir tank is fine.

Some of my Hygrophilia Deformis (Water Wisteria) has grown out so. I will plant them some of the lacy leafy branches. I plant them secure with the trunk wedged under a pile of rocks. They never last long enough to take root. That's okay it grows fast. All the fish love it, some to rest on, some for cover, the cichlids to munch on. I have quite a few other species of plants, but the Hygrophia wisteria is the fastest growing. Looks nice too.
The plant across Kong's entrance reminded me. Thanks.
What about a towel/sheet across that side of Kong's tank when you work on Patch's tank? Maybe that would make him pretty unhappy too?

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Marimo balls the cichlids tore up turned to pulp and shreds. It was a subtly increasing mess, even with WCs at the beginning of it.
The Hygrophilia wisteria, is clean and they eat over time. I give them pinches of pieces to play with and eat at times, but now I enough to give them each a substantial branch which basically a whole plant. They love it. They are big and healthy and had them both for a number of years.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Mmm ouch. Head banging. Someone needs some fish sedatives before you work on Patch's tank. I hope the Peace with lasts a little while. It's a Duel.

Both my cichlids shredded their Marimo balls. I let them have their enjoyment and they like to consume parts of it. I 'd get them another, but it polluted the water and plugged the filters. I basically had to ¾ start over with two tanks not too long ago. Changing ½ the water 3 times and complete clean out of the filters. Shredded fiber every where. Figure out some other toys for them. I will try ping pong balls. Like I said whatever I put in the tank they usually own sooner or later. Maybe I can find a non toxic green ball. The Marimo balls in the Bichir tank is fine.

Some of my Hygrophilia Deformis (Water Wisteria) has grown out so. I will plant them some of the lacy leafy branches. I plant them secure with the trunk wedged under a pile of rocks. They never last long enough to take root. That's okay it grows fast. All the fish love it, some to rest on, some for cover, the cichlids to munch on. I have quite a few other species of plants, but the Hygrophia wisteria is the fastest growing. Looks nice too.
The plant across Kong's entrance reminded me. Thanks.
What about a towel/sheet across that side of Kong's tank when you work on Patch's tank? Maybe that would make him pretty unhappy too?
I think I'll try the towel idea, I've had it with this nonsense. Maybe it will keep him calm when I put her in a bucket.

I had the same issue with the marimo with Kong...fibers everywhere clogging the filters and nitrate spikes. I removed the remnants. The new lighting has calmed Kong a bit (for him, anyway). In fact the new leds make him appear to be the same color as Boss. Patch looks hot pink fuschia. More on the new lights later.

Still trying to get a clean measurement of Brick's length but he won't stop moving. I've got the thickness and height numbers. Every time I try to measure he angles away just enough to throw the size off.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I think I'll try the towel idea, I've had it with this nonsense. Maybe it will keep him calm when I put her in a bucket.

I had the same issue with the marimo with Kong...fibers everywhere clogging the filters and nitrate spikes. I removed the remnants. The new lighting has calmed Kong a bit (for him, anyway). In fact the new leds make him appear to be the same color as Boss. Patch looks hot pink fuschia. More on the new lights later.

Still trying to get a clean measurement of Brick's length but he won't stop moving. I've got the thickness and height numbers. Every time I try to measure he angles away just enough to throw the size off.
Yes, with torn up Marimo balls torn up fibers too and clogged up filters. So that was it. It had to be. It couldn't have been anything else. It started with cloudy water with me, the sand tank especially bad. Not either of th good sands. It wasn't the Sandtastik or CaribSea sand tanks, but that wasn't where the problem was. I was tight on my water changes. It's all part part of being a fish parent, that sounds weird, Lol--I 'll work on a better way of saying that. You are a good Fish Mom, that doesn't sound too great either, but you are a good Mom, that sounds better.

What squirmy Brick won't stand still against the wall for his measurements? Sounds like Patch got a makeover.
I was wondering if you had multiple color options on the light, but I will wait until you release the product review on your thread. Two of mine have multiple light options, but I mostly use the daylight/plant and the blue night light. A number of different color options including a muti color flashing disco, a slow fade through all the colors. Sometimes I will pick a different color to highlight a fish color and the fish react differently. At first they are uncertain and then they start moving more lively, like they are enjoying something different. Sort of like the behavior after a water change but different.

Different species but do your fish act differently under a change of lights? The blue night light, only on at times, is again a different behavior. Relaxed swimming, except those that are stationary.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yes, with torn up Marimo balls torn up fibers too and clogged up filters. So that was it. It had to be. It couldn't have been anything else. It started with cloudy water with me, the sand tank especially bad. Not either of th good sands. It wasn't the Sandtastik or CaribSea sand tanks, but that wasn't where the problem was. I was tight on my water changes. It's all part part of being a fish parent, that sounds weird, Lol--I 'll work on a better way of saying that. You are a good Fish Mom, that doesn't sound too great either, but you are a good Mom, that sounds better.

What squirmy Brick won't stand still against the wall for his measurements? Sounds like Patch got a makeover.
I was wondering if you had multiple color options on the light, but I will wait until you release the product review on your thread. Two of mine have multiple light options, but I mostly use the daylight/plant and the blue night light. A number of different color options including a muti color flashing disco, a slow fade through all the colors. Sometimes I will pick a different color to highlight a fish color and the fish react differently. At first they are uncertain and then they start moving more lively, like they are enjoying something different. Sort of like the behavior after a water change but different.

Different species but do your fish act differently under a change of lights? The blue night light, only on at times, is again a different behavior. Relaxed swimming, except those that are stationary.

Absolutely! I posted a thread awhile back titled "LED red light and Oscar aggression" I came to the incorrect conclusion that red light 'blinded' my Oscar. When the red light was on he initially acted as if he could only sense the environment, not see it. He would drift on the water current sidedways, seem completely disoriented and not swim. He also didn't recognize me. I came to the incorrect conclusion that he couldn't see. After that my O adjusted to the red light and it was apparent he could see. However...

Red light (default) seems to make 'instant aggression'. Boss (BP) goes hyper aggressive, and Brick (O) gets testy. But Boss is the worst. Chip (Sev) is unaffected. The syno Rex is slightly more active but that's it. But its literally like a switch, two of the fish go in berserk mode, actively looking for fights. Boss in particular will shoot across the tank with his fins up, chasing fish and fighting the O. It's like he turns into Kong.

Magenta light (my custom evening setting) makes 'neutral aggression'. That is the fish will fight in an area they protect if threatened. Less swimming motion and everyone stays in their area more. Its a "carefully quiet" mode with low activity.

Dark light (my custom night mode) Is a very low key blue setting I use, not the default mode blue. It's just this side of black and the fish are totally relaxed and can rest almost immediately. Next to no motion and territory is non existent. Fish will swap turf to sleep or rest in a group. The Syno comes out to swim and explore but stays closer to the bottom.

Party blue light (default blue mode) The fish slow down and rest but still remain relatively active for a supposed 'sleep mode'. It may allow you to see them better but I'm not convinced its the best night mode for sleep. It seems to take them awhile to really relax and they still move around quite a bit. Will sleep in a group at times. Syno will explore entire tank column, including surface.

Green light (default mode) "Neutral" behavior. Fish are both stationary and slow swimming. Will avoid each other and not fight. A calm but not restful tank.

Marine light mode (bluish white default) Too harsh, bright and promotes algae
Plant light mode (neutral white default) Same as above, unless you have surface plants for shade
Fish light mode (greenish white default) dulls the colors of orange and red fish. Also way too bright and promotes algae

I have two white settings, low key white and 'dark' white. Both are deeper tone settings but neutral and show the true fish color. Shadows are more even and natural, less severe dark areas. The fish explore and swim more relaxed. You would have to compare to know the regular bright mode wasn't on. But the defaults are like white strobe light!

The better led strip lights give you more custom control than the less expensive ones with just blue and white mode. Good luck controlling algae with those.

I haven't tested the yellow and orange light options yet.

If any other keepers have experienced this, chime in. I find it fascinating. It also appears to be dependent on specie and personality of fish. Overall the Severum is least affected by any of this, the syno slightly. The Oscar is somewhere inbetween, and the Blood Parrot is affected the most.

Interesting caveat, though. Kong (BP) needs no light color change to fight, he lives for fighting. Patch only reacts to yellow light briefly then goes back in her hutch. She's pretty much similar in all light conditions. Play, or shred and destroy. But since they are singles in a tank there's no other fish for them to react off of either. Might be a factor.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Excellent detailed report, facts noted, thank you.
With the blue 'night' light mode, I noted less eventual activity, slowing down swimming, with fish going stationary in somnolence and some fish heading to their caves, tunnels and egresses.
I will study the effects of the other different colored lights, note and report them. I did note the yellow light seemed to make my cichlid a little disoriented at first.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Finished my "favorite " task of scouring / cleaning Patch's egg riddled tank. She's got to be the sloppiest egg layer ever. Random clusters in the sand, all over and in the canister, on the plants, on the sponge filters. But she's fiesty again and swirling around doing her 'fan dances.'

Kong has clean water too. Main tank is tomorrow. I've staggered the schedule, doing all the tanks the same day was getting to be a drag. I may finally have a clean measurement of Brick's length. All his numbers will be posted May 1.

Patch managed to pull another stem from one of her plants as well. Now that her tank is clean of old eggs she's back to her normal self.

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Finished my "favorite " task of scouring / cleaning Patch's egg riddled tank. She's got to be the sloppiest egg layer ever. Random clusters in the sand, all over and in the canister, on the plants, on the sponge filters. But she's fiesty again and swirling around doing her 'fan dances.'

Kong has clean water too. Main tank is tomorrow. I've staggered the schedule, doing all the tanks the same day was getting to be a drag. I may finally have a clean measurement of Brick's length. All his numbers will be posted May 1.

Patch managed to pull another stem from one of her plants as well. Now that her tank is clean of old eggs she's back to her normal self.
Well that's cool she is back. She's BACK.
I do my water changes the same day sometimes. Other times like tonight I stagger them too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store