Whats the deal with Xtreme fish food ??

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
DDGS is a by-product of ethanol production. It's cheaper than feeding seafood. lol

Carophyll Red is a petroleum by-product, which is interesting because they state in the pages linked to below: "It contains no hormones and no artificial color enhancers." That's funny. I have posted about this synthetic color enhancing agent many times, here's an old classic from 2010.

I believe that corn DDGS was originally listed on Xtreme labels, but probably use whatever is at the lower price when their food is being manufactured, which in this case was originally being done by Zeigler Bros. Xtreme does not make their own food.

Cichlid PeeWee Small/Medium Slow-Sinking Cichlid Food with Krill, 1.5mm Pellets, 45 oz:

Ingredients: Shrimp Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Wheat, Rice Bran, Wheat Midds, Soybean Meal, Squid Meal, Spirulina, Dried Brewers Yeast, Paprika, Lecithin, Red Pixafil, Sodium Chloride, Prepsonic Acid (A Preservative), Ascorbic Acid, Carophyll Red, DL-Methionine, Threonine, Beta Carotene,Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, Thiamine, Biotin, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.

Xtreme Aquatic Big Fella

Ingredients: Shrimp Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Wheat, Rice Bran, Wheat Midds, Soybean Meal, Squid Meal, Spirulina, Dried Brewers Yeast, Paprika, Lecithin, Red Pixafil, Sodium Chloride, Propionic Acid (A Preservative), Ascorbic Acid, Carophyll Red, DL-Methionine, Threonine, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, Thiamine, Biotin, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ethylenediamine, Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.

Tropical Joe

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
Queens NY
I watched the video that I believe you posted on the fish farm. That was unbelievable. I really enjoyed watching it. Thank You for posting it up. The video shows a mix that they make up for their fish. They stated it was all good like krill , shrimp, spirulina, etc. I thought this was the same as what they were feeding their fish in this Xtreme fish food. Maybe I miss understood this video. I have to look at it again. Anyway I am always looking for good food for my fish. I like to change it up. Not feed the same all the time. Right now I am using Cobalt Aquatics Ultra Spirulina and North Fin Cichlid formula.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I didn't post the vid, it was someone else.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Cory is a business man that as such promotes what is to his business, an advantage. Nothing wrong with that, but it's all business. Cory went to Ricky Biro's farm, made a vid or two, no doubt swung a deal, and is now supporting their product. OK
I'll give Cory credit for saying many times that we, as the listener, should always keep in mind that he is running a business. I'll also give him credit for not promoting all the companies that send him stuff and try to get him to sell their stuff. For example, he ripped on those Wase (Waze?) Filters that a lot of other YouTuber promoted.

I just wanted to say this bc I be mentioned Cory in my the past and some might think I'm ripping on him. I do listen to all his Livestream and he gives good info for the most part.

His food recommendations have been poor in the past, imo, based on my research here. Like the sera foods Ive criticized in the past. To be fair, he has mentioned premium foods, that he thinks (and probably is right) that many won't pay bthe premium for (he mentioned Northfin as being in a this category and NLS before he got into a beef with them).

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well all that I will add to that is that I will always feed foods that I consider high quality, such as NLS and NF, long before I would ever consider feeding middle of the road foods such as Xtreme. If I had the massive amount of tanks & ponds as someone like thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter , I would no doubt shift my money more towards bulk commercial farm feed, such as Zeigler Bros, which I know that Viktor does as well. That just makes sense, and becomes good business practice, just like what Cory sells and promotes. No different than if I had 50 dogs to feed, vs the one & only 5 pounder that I currently own. He gets premium food as well.:thumbsup:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you RD. RD. That'd be the first time I heard you validate (in your highly esteemed opinion) our humble approach in no uncertain words. I mean you just never said or had to say the above, I guess.

When we open for business and are more free with the means, I plan to look into better pellets. Until then, indeed, Zeigler Bros aquaculture finfish pellets are what we have been using for 10 years.

This is the exact one we have been using at about 75 lbs a month:

I must note at the face value, the ingredient list of the Xtreme looks far, far better with the first three ingredients of aquatic origin versus Ziegler finfish's one and only ingredient of aquatic origin "Fish meal" in the 4th place. That's what you get for roughly $1 per lb delivered cost. (Well there is "Fish oil" too but it doesn't really count, I think.)

100_8709.JPG100_8710.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store