Do ceramic rings work ? Or is it just marketing?

raja

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2013
chennai
If ceramic rings provide only external surface area then how is it any better than a plastic media like pot scrubbies.

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
Nice now that the surface area of ceramic is just external ,time to diy a fluidized sand filter .
In theory those are one of the most effective types of bio media filters per cubic foot. I have yet to use one myself but have heard a lot of really good reviews. One day I plan on building one.

Reactions: mattybecks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the most interesting aspects of fluidized media, is that the constant motion, and bashing into one another, sloughs off less robust, old colonies making room for more new, robust, more efficient colonies to replace the old ones.
A DIY model below I made our of 4' tall clear PVC by 8" in diameter.

the aragonite used as media also worked as an alkalinity buffer.
But by regular rinsing off of media in bags, a similar exchange of old worn out colonies, making room for newer robust colonies can be achieved (no matter what type media is in the bags)

A 4' tall bio-tower using Scrubbie's and lava rock a media below

The unit above, was the bio-filter in a 75 gal sump, servicing a line of 5 tanks equaling about 400 gallons, a few tanks overstocked, with never a hint of ammonia.
I found a regular blast with the garden hose down the column, helped dislodge old worn out colonies making room for the newer robust ones.

Reactions: Matteus and raja

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Part of my job as microbiologist for a water production plant was a yearly assessment of the efficiency of 40 large filters, using the manual put out by the AWWA (American Water Works Association). Although these filters were gigantic compared to even the largest aquarium filters, many of the concepts of maintenance were of use to my fish room.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If ceramic rings provide only external surface area then how is it any better than a plastic media like pot scrubbies.
The thing with the ceramic rings is that they came first and were in play long before the scrubbies were thought of for use in filter systems.The scrubbies could be viewed as a bit of an improvement so to speak.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The question is not whether ceramic rings will work, but whether you provide the conditions for it to work. Any media that provide large surface areas for BB to thrive under aerobic conditions will work, so ceramic rings, larva rock or gravel beds with good flow over it will all work. I don't see the need to provide a dedicated bio bed, just maintain good flow over a thin substrate by HOBs and circulation pump to achieve 100% biofiltration.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Interesting and informative thread, thanks to all.

That chart looked like a very worthwhile source of useful info, but in examining it more closely I am left with some doubts. It shows "surface area per cubic foot", but what is the unit of the surface area? Square feet? It would be interesting to know, but without that info the numbers are still useful just to compare one media to another.

Except...some of these numbers seem a bit difficult to believe. Sand (grain size unspecified, despite it being an important factor) is shown as having a surface area of 150 square meters per gram! I have a hard time believing that.

Activated carbon is supposedly rated at 30000 square yards per ounce. Aside from the shifting of units of measurement, which makes comparison difficult, this one sounds like a prime example of a surface area which would quickly...very quickly, I would suspect...become clogged, reducing the available surface by a couple orders of magnitude.

Or am I just too much of a cynic?

Jblz619

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2019
Here is a study they did that shows pot scrubbers or sponges work better for canister/filter media.

received_547270379462648.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store