Green Terror in 55-Gallon

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Your current plan does leave room for some more fish - nothing big or high waste, but a couple of small loaches wouldn’t hurt.

kyleallen22

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
I got 6 dojo loaches for my 75 gallon goldfish tank and the seller who shipped them to me put them all in the same small bag and they had bad ammonia burns when I got them.

Sadly 2 ended up dying but the 4 I still have, have recovered and are close to 9 inches long now. They are some of my favorite fish and I have dozens of cichlids.

They eat out of my hand are constantly active will constantly lick and smell my arms when I’m doing maintenance and water changes. Other than my Oscar they are my kids favorites fishes as well.

kyleallen22

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
only weather loaches can be kept alone, but they get up to 20 inches in wild and 12 inches in home aquariums, so they can't live in a 55 gallon tank. All other loaches need to kept in groups
I’ll see if I can find the source later but there was someone with dojo loaches that were close to 15 inches long. They were in a 300 gallon planted tank I think, with a bunch of danios and rosy barbs and panda cories. Was a cool cold water community tank. (No pun intended)

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! So I was wondering if y'all could help me with another idea: What is an appropriate tank setup for my tank (55 gallons) that can include a Senegal/smaller bichir? I've been interested in owning a bichir, and I don't know what to mix with it in my size tank. I'm going ahead and making the assumption that my striped Raphael would be fine, correct?

P.S. I haven't dropped the aquascape idea with the gouramis and loaches yet, I'm still open to that one if the bichir Idea doesn't work.

Reactions: AR1

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Plenty of options involving a senegal bichir. Due to being a smaller bichir, there are a lot of fish that don’t fit in their mouths.
Medium sized cichlids would be good, as well as some sort of schooling fish (you need some activity in there). African butterfly fish are good with them. The raph would be fine.
I wouldn’t do loaches with one though - if the bichir tries to eat them the spines could be an issue.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I would do smaller tetras like serpae or lemons, as well as Cory cats.
If you want to stick with an Asian theme, you can do loaches and larger rasboras/danios instead.
[/QUOTE]
thats what deadeye recommended me. maybe we will end up with the same stock

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jr71

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2022
Ok, what unusual schooling fish are there? Like tetras, barbs, etc.

I'm not interested in Exodons as I want to have other fish in the tank, and I'm not going to put them at risk with little piranhas, but I'm now open shop for other types of tetras.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of good ideas here, but I just thought I'd note that you can keep exodons with other fish. No doubt there's some risk, and it'll depend on the type of fish, but I've got 20 exodons with a bristlenose pleco and three corys, and the exodons completely ignore them. This tank has been stable like this for months, getting close to a year now. I've seen clown loaches with exodons, too, though I haven't tried that myself.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Plenty of options involving a senegal bichir. Due to being a smaller bichir, there are a lot of fish that don’t fit in their mouths.
Medium sized cichlids would be good, as well as some sort of schooling fish (you need some activity in there). African butterfly fish are good with them. The raph would be fine.
I wouldn’t do loaches with one though - if the bichir tries to eat them the spines could be an issue.
Ok so how does this setup sound: 1 Senegal Bichir, 1 Striped Raphael Catfish, 1 Syno species Cat (preferably a featherfin if I can find one), 2-3 Electric Blue Acaras OR 2-3 Geophagus Tapaho

Last edited:
Reactions: AR1

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I also have another one: 1 Striped Raphael Catfish, 1 Senegal Bichir, and 7-8 Yellow Labs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store