The Red Devil Diary

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Living up to the both the Red Devil and Kratos names. Think it’s safe to say that 125 is his and his alone lol.
Unfortunately…

Kinda wish he was just human aggro and not fish aggro but he’s both. He tried a couple times to tag me again today but I had my eye on him so I moved out of the way. I am dreading doing water changes when he hits 8+ inches.

• Haha
Reactions: Jexnell

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sad to see the tetras chopped up. With cichlids I learned the hard way...when things go south act immediately if you can. It's been my experience they always do the deed at night. I've never had a devil, but the one thing I read consistently is how they start out timid and hiding, get to 4-5 inches then start slicing everything in sight.

Maybe Kratos will like some balls to play with. I use party favor balls filled with sand, water and gravel. Living up to his name for sure.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Unfortunately…

Kinda wish he was just human aggro and not fish aggro but he’s both. He tried a couple times to tag me again today but I had my eye on him so I moved out of the way. I am dreading doing water changes when he hits 8+ inches.
Follow Jexnell Jexnell 's method with Casper.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Follow Jexnell Jexnell 's method with Casper.
The net option? I can try that but he might tear the net apart. When I was using the net to catch the Tetras he was trying to attack it lol.

Sad to see the tetras chopped up. With cichlids I learned the hard way...when things go south act immediately if you can. It's been my experience they always do the deed at night. I've never had a devil, but the one thing I read consistently is how they start out timid and hiding, get to 4-5 inches then start slicing everything in sight.

Maybe Kratos will like some balls to play with. I use party favor balls filled with sand, water and gravel. Living up to his name for sure.
Yeah I’m really bummed, been scolding myself for not acting sooner, they were great fish and really helped him get comfortable. I can try giving him some balls to play with and see it helps him out.

Reactions: FINWIN and Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
That's how Casper was at first. Fighting the net, trying to get away all that jazz. But soon enough he got so used to it, it all stopped. At the end of the time I had him he would actually swim into the net, let's get this over with so I can back to digging...

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Hey all, just a little update on Kratos, it’s water change day for him and he’s growing nicely. Not much has really happened other than that. He is glass banging a bit now and is still trying to murk my hand during water changes lol, very territorial and comes to eliminate any “threat” he finds in his territory.
He’s probably around 5.25-6 inches right now. When I got him he was noticeably smaller than my 6 inch male Dempsey but now he matches him in size, so it seems he’s put on at least half an inch. He’s lost the black on his caudal fin and is probably 99% orange/yellow. Here are a couple photos during water change:

IMG_9645.jpeg

IMG_9646.jpeg

IMG_9648.jpeg

IMG_9650.jpeg

IMG_9649.jpeg

IMG_9651.jpeg

IMG_9653.jpeg

IMG_9655.jpeg

IMG_9658.jpeg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Absolute stunner. That Amphilophus growth rate is no joke huh? I’m curious to see what he’ll look like once he starts putting on some bulk lol.
Thanks! Yes he is, I’m very proud of him, I just can’t get enough of his trailers.
Yes I’m starting to believe that, they seem to be very fast growers with good water quality and a solid diet and so am I, he has gotten maybe a quarter of an inch bulkier but most of the growth has been in length and a little bit of height. I can’t wait to see what he’ll look like at 8 inches, and then see the considerable size and bulk difference when he hits 10-12 inches.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Couple more shots of Kratos just after being fed. His anal fin now sports a small black streak, I think you can see it in some of the pics. The black on his caudal fin has pretty much disappeared.

Question for the fellow Amph owners, what do you feed them? I give Kratos Omega one and Hikari (not exactly the best I know but all my cichlids go crazy for it, don’t know why.) I wish I can get my cichlids on NLS but they don’t seem to take it. I also give earthworms from my backyard as a treat (I don’t use pesticides whatsoever) once every 2 weeks for so. Sun dried freshwater shrimp as a treat once a week as well and I soak my pellets in garlic once a week just to help with their immune system.

IMG_9670.jpeg

IMG_9672.jpeg

IMG_9674.jpeg

IMG_9675.jpeg

IMG_9676.jpeg

IMG_9677.jpeg

IMG_9678.jpeg

IMG_9679.jpeg

Reactions: Matth05

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Can’t speak on Amphilophus specifically, as I have not owned one, yet lol. But it was a bit of a pain to get the convicts on NLS. And back when I had the carpintis it was the same story. They eat it now with no problem but it took a bit of tough love and patience.

This is just my own (and very limited) experience but both convicts and the carpintis took to Northfin pellets basically immediately. Could be worth a shot.

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store