210 gallon Frontosa build

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Did you hear anything back from Butch at SEC as yet?

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Butch just got back and said he no longer ships to Canada, as he has moved. I’m going to try to reach out to the other recommended shipper
That’s a bummer broskoto. Hope you find your dream fish!
You could try Cunningham Tropicals. If Josh doesn’t have Zaire’s he would know where to look to get them for you. The bloke I know in Detroit that has a the Kituma group ships through Josh but he hasn’t had fry this year 🤷🏻‍♂️

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Alright, I’ve got the rocks washed and placed. Thanks everyone for the help! I still have to wash and place the sand - does anyone think it would be a problem if I washed and placed the sand (CaribSea Ivory Coast) without filling the tank for a week or so? I’m out of town and want to make sure I’m here for a few days after it’s full, but my wife is getting sick of the boxes of hundreds of pounds of sand sitting in our porch!
IMG_4306.jpeg

As you can see, I’ve also installed the heaters, filter, lids, and light. My gear list is as follows:

- Eheim Jager 300 watt heater, x 2
- Inkbird 306 temperature controller
- FX-6 canister
- Aqueon Versatop lids
- Current Satelli
- Two surge-protected power bars with some attempts at cord management

I’m getting a second FX-6 with seeded media delivered to me later in the month. After that, I’ll fill the tank and leave it run for a week or so - then hopefully add some fish! I’ve still got a few irons in the fire for c. gibberosa, but if not I’ll grab some c. frontosa from my LFS.

Here are some cabinet shots:

IMG_4309.jpegIMG_4310.jpeg

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
You can wash and add the sand now mate. It’s not “live sand” so it will be fine, and a blessing to your wife as well.
Tank looks great. Did the supplier ever get back to you about the slivers?
Hopefully you get the Gibbs.
Following 👍🏼

Reactions: Caperguy99

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
You can wash and add the sand now mate. It’s not “live sand” so it will be fine, and a blessing to your wife as well.
Tank looks great. Did the supplier ever get back to you about the slivers?
Hopefully you get the Gibbs.
Following 👍🏼
Yes, I sent a ton of photos and video, got the sliver out and measured it. The supplier looked at the data, also asked two guys who had 40 years in the hobby, and they all said that none of them would hesitate to use in their own homes. Small sliver, just on the corner, and so on.

So I’m taking their word for it and moving ahead.

Reactions: danotaylor

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Alright, fill up and leak test day. Filled it about a quarter at a time, checking the level the whole way. Looks to be nice and level. Turned on the FX-6 and the heaters, and put in the “bio clarifier” that came with the sand. Hopefully by tomorrow the water is a little clearer.

I must say, I’ve been obsessively checking for leaks or drips and reading through online threads. My nightmare is a leak, and I bet I’ll be thinking of that all night. Looking forward to having it set up for awhile so I’ll be able to sleep easy.

Wish me luck!

IMG_4334.jpeg
IMG_4335.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store