600 gallon acrylic tear down and rebuild or roll the dice?

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
bloody fantastic job mate! I know it early yet, but what are your plans for inhabitants?
Arowana, 3 Oscars, 4 silver dollars and a pleco to start with . I would love to put the lungfish in there as we but he has a knack of making other fish disappear lol so he will be going in the 225 after I move the others out

IMG_20240727_171030178_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240727_171015929_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240727_170937530_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240727_171838143.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Might have to go with the two sandwiched braces evenly spaced. When the bracing was cut out they left these parts on and they are dead center of the tank.

View attachment 1546264

View attachment 1546265
Sometimes fate decides for u lol… 2 braces will b fine just the same. I have 2 8’ers over here. One has a large center brace, the other has 2. Also have a 10’er with 2.

Reactions: bluehand

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Sometimes fate decides for u lol… 2 braces will b fine just the same. I have 2 8’ers over here. One has a large center brace, the other has 2. Also have a 10’er with 2.
So would you recommend doing the sandwich prior to putting the brace on the tank? With the bottom pieces being longer of course to go beneath the euro

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Also the center of the tank measures about 1/4" wider as it is bowed slightly, im guessing ratchet straps to get it back true before/during attaching the braces would be ok?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
So would you recommend doing the sandwich prior to putting the brace on the tank? With the bottom pieces being longer of course to go beneath the euro
Id do it 1 at a time, and yes if also try to get it back to square with the braces ur putting in so they both adhere front to back as well as up under the lips. 1/4” is not much to pull back in place.

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
In my mind the best way to do the top bracing would be tank upside-down and elevated to get inside of it so the solvent doesn't run down the sides but that wouldn't be an easy task. Would it be better to get it on its side, do the two bottom braces on one side then flip the tank and do the same on the other side? Then set the tank right side up to sandwich the top braces?

I so much appreciate all of the help you have given me and do apologize for so many trivial questions, just trying to make sure I do it all correctly 🧐

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
In my mind the best way to do the top bracing would be tank upside-down and elevated to get inside of it so the solvent doesn't run down the sides but that wouldn't be an easy task. Would it be better to get it on its side, do the two bottom braces on one side then flip the tank and do the same on the other side? Then set the tank right side up to sandwich the top braces?

I so much appreciate all of the help you have given me and do apologize for so many trivial questions, just trying to make sure I do it all correctly 🧐
Always more than one way to skin the cat lol… i do like the way u think tho. Tank upside down and elevated would keep the excess solvent off everything 100%. I think ur 2nd idea should work just as good tho. With the tank on its back/front just tilt it a bit so the glue will puddle on the top lips of the tank rather than the front pane. Really only have to be extra careful with the front of course. If u planned on buffing the tank anyway, solvent marks should come right out worst case scenario. And no worries man 💀🤙, happy to help. Its been nice to see ur progress

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Arowana, 3 Oscars, 4 silver dollars and a pleco to start with . I would love to put the lungfish in there as we but he has a knack of making other fish disappear lol so he will be going in the 225 after I move the others out
Awesome mate. Gonna look fabo when all said & done.
I'm new to monster fish, is your lungfish a "marbled' or "spotted" african"? My LFS has this guy for sale for $135...is that a decent price? I have a 10'x3'x2.5 560gal acrylic tank I just converted to a trio of hybrid rays. Wanna add something else for interest...do rays & lungfish mix well?

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Awesome mate. Gonna look fabo when all said & done.
I'm new to monster fish, is your lungfish a "marbled' or "spotted" african"? My LFS has this guy for sale for $135...is that a decent price? I have a 10'x3'x2.5 560gal acrylic tank I just converted to a trio of hybrid rays. Wanna add something else for interest...do rays & lungfish mix well?
Mine is a marbled. I have had it for about 15 years and I think I paid around $100 for it then so I would say that is a fair price. When I first got him I had him with rays and ended up losing a couple before separating them. They are both bottom dwelling and with the poor eyesight of the lungfish they don't pair up well in my opinion

Reactions: danotaylor
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store