600 gallon acrylic tear down and rebuild or roll the dice?

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Mine is a marbled. I have had it for about 15 years and I think I paid around $100 for it then so I would say that is a fair price. When I first got him I had him with rays and ended up losing a couple before separating them. They are both bottom dwelling and with the poor eyesight of the lungfish they don't pair up well in my opinion
Probably better to go with something more mid to top water range if you have rays IMO

Reactions: danotaylor

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Mine is a marbled. I have had it for about 15 years and I think I paid around $100 for it then so I would say that is a fair price. When I first got him I had him with rays and ended up losing a couple before separating them. They are both bottom dwelling and with the poor eyesight of the lungfish they don't pair up well in my opinion
Thanks mate, that is exactly the info I need. Don't wanna make a mistake with the tank mates as I don't have a back up option tank wise for a monster if things went south. Appreciate the quick respone!

Reactions: bluehand

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Bracing is 3" wide, should I use pins or something for shims to be sure the solvent penetrates throughout? Not really sure how far that capillary method goes

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Bracing is 3" wide, should I use pins or something for shims to be sure the solvent penetrates throughout? Not really sure how far that capillary method goes
Killin it over there 💀🤘… beat me to the punch on using something to hold the braces up while u glue. The pin method is probably very smart for this scenario also. Will ensure u dont have any odd air gaps anywhere that wont fill in by injecting. Basically just use pins like ur thinking shimming it. Wait for the glue to get a bit tacky, pull the pins and probably clamp them down a bit to get good adhesion.

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Ok class, today lesson is as follows...
When you try to sandwich together a 3"x60" brace for the top of your aquarium you will find out about 20 seconds in that the 3ml syringe applicator that you used for the relatively small seams you did up to this point is absolutely not going to cut it and you have 0 chance of getting the seam filled in time . I probably should have just ripped them apart immediately, cleaned them up and tried again when I had a larger applicator but that didn't occur to me until it was much too late. I was sooo mad by the time I was done with it but its just bracing no one will see and I learned a valuable lesson that will never be repeated again lol

Reactions: jjohnwm

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
I very much underestimated how much solvent it was going to take and spent more time going back to the can that actually injecting lol. I have cameras everywhere besides the garage but today I wish one would have been out here because it was probably quite comical to watch myself frantically rushing around trying to save it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store