600 gallon acrylic tear down and rebuild or roll the dice?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ok class, today lesson is as follows...
When you try to sandwich together a 3"x60" brace for the top of your aquarium you will find out about 20 seconds in that the 3ml syringe applicator that you used for the relatively small seams you did up to this point is absolutely not going to cut it and you have 0 chance of getting the seam filled in time . I probably should have just ripped them apart immediately, cleaned them up and tried again when I had a larger applicator but that didn't occur to me until it was much too late. I was sooo mad by the time I was done with it but its just bracing no one will see and I learned a valuable lesson that will never be repeated again lol

Ahh… if there was anywhere to have an issue that looked bad, this was it. U skated by pretty smooth so far 💀🤙. Id still chaulk it up to a win. Like u said. Shes on there solid despite how it looks. At least uve had the balls to dive right in and keep pushing forward to teach urself several different methods of glueing already. Most people would have given up after bringing the tank home lol… many others tire kick for months or years before even trying anything. Keep at it man!

Reactions: deeda and bluehand

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Thanks man! I was really aggravated while it was going down but pushed through. Ordered a couple 3oz applicator bottles soon as I calmed down and chalked it up to lesson learned haha. They should be here by the weekend so I can give the other one a shot. As you said it has gone smooth so far, better than I could have hoped for actually. Can't thank you enough for all the help you have been brother. I have alot of buffing to do and plumbing to plan so that will keep me busy till the bottles get here in a couple days. No kicking tires here lol

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Not sure why they had 2 overflows and 8 returns in this tank but I have to figure out what I can do with 10 holes 😄
Closed loop!!!!!

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Im assume that is probably a saltwater thing as this tank was set up salt? Not really sure how that works. I have never had a salt setup
Yeah, all it is is rather than a powerhead or wave maker it generates flow by pumping water though a “closed loop” of pipes throughout the tank. Generates a lot more accurate currents for reef aquariums. For fresh it could be beneficial for eliminating dead spots and for fish that require high oxygen

Reactions: bluehand

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Not sure why they had 2 overflows and 8 returns in this tank but I have to figure out what I can do with 10 holes 😄
U can use uniseals and pvc capped or do the same with bulkheads… id patch them off for good tho. If u have any of that 40 left u can tape the underside and just fill em up with the 40 from the inside. Solvent will work also with any material u have left to patch over.

I have a 500 with 2 bottom holes that haunts me every day 😂… i was lazy and didnt patch them when i had the chance. Initially had bulkheads and returns. Eventually the check valves failed over time and started to drain the tank during power outtages. Still have 1 bulkhead just ball valved off and another with uniseal and pvc capped off. If i ever have time to change stock or redo the tank ill be sealing them off for good.

Its very easy to drill acrylic also, i like having my drains and returns up on the back wall or sides of the tank. If something fails the tank wont drain at least.

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
U can use uniseals and pvc capped or do the same with bulkheads… id patch them off for good tho. If u have any of that 40 left u can tape the underside and just fill em up with the 40 from the inside. Solvent will work also with any material u have left to patch over.

I have a 500 with 2 bottom holes that haunts me every day 😂… i was lazy and didnt patch them when i had the chance. Initially had bulkheads and returns. Eventually the check valves failed over time and started to drain the tank during power outtages. Still have 1 bulkhead just ball valved off and another with uniseal and pvc capped off. If i ever have time to change stock or redo the tank ill be sealing them off for good.

Its very easy to drill acrylic also, i like having my drains and returns up on the back wall or sides of the tank. If something fails the tank wont drain at least.
Not sure if I have enough #40 to fill the holes but I have no problem ordering more because I don't like the idea of having that many potential problems at the bottom of my tank. I have never minded the overflows so much being on the bottom but returns I don't think I like at all

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
With that said I may do away with all of them and do the overflows on the sides as well
Best to do it now and not worry later… im goin on 10+ yrs of wishing i did before i filled the tank 😂. That does also attest that bulkheads do work tho lol. Another plus/positive is the bulkheads/pvc will not be in ur way for stand bracing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store