Arowana wont eat?

Jonnyakawombell

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Hi all first message on here for a while so here it goes, I've recently bought a juvenile 8"-9" golden crossback Asian arowana (I live in the UK) I've had him\her for a week now and despite my best efforts I can't get it to eat, I've tried prawns, muscles, bloodworms, earthworms, crickets, mealworms, hikari food sticks, Northfin arowana, and varied types of new life spectrum, I've been in contact with my supplier and was told the fish ate chopped prawn and muscles on the day of shipping so not overly concerning right now as I'm aware aro's can go for months and months without feeding, was just wondering if anyone on here has any tips or tricks or any other food suggestions to get this fish eating? Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Can you get any live food? Live ghost shrimp, tilapia fry or any river fish fly, frogs, cockroaches?

Surprised he did not take crickets. Were they live?

What temperature is the water?

Is he stressed from the journey?

Post some pics.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Hi all first message on here for a while so here it goes, I've recently bought a juvenile 8"-9" golden crossback Asian arowana (I live in the UK) I've had him\her for a week now and despite my best efforts I can't get it to eat, I've tried prawns, muscles, bloodworms, earthworms, crickets, mealworms, hikari food sticks, Northfin arowana, and varied types of new life spectrum, I've been in contact with my supplier and was told the fish ate chopped prawn and muscles on the day of shipping so not overly concerning right now as I'm aware aro's can go for months and months without feeding, was just wondering if anyone on here has any tips or tricks or any other food suggestions to get this fish eating? Many thanks in advance.
my experience with juvenile aros is that increasing a temperature by a few degrees helps a lot. It increases the fish's metabolism, making it more hungry. This trick allowed me to feed my juvie aro right after the next day i got it.

Jonnyakawombell

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Can you get any live food? Live ghost shrimp, tilapia fry or any river fish fly, frogs, cockroaches?

Surprised he did not take crickets. Were they live?

What temperature is the water?

Is he stressed from the journey?

Post some pics.
Yeah was very surprised he\she was not interested in crickets as well, temp is 28C\82F also never shown any signs of stress and never been bothered by anything in the tank, tank size is 96 x 32 x 32, I'll post some pics went I work out how to do it.

Reactions: Midwater

Jonnyakawombell

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
my experience with juvenile aros is that increasing a temperature by a few degrees helps a lot. It increases the fish's metabolism, making it more hungry. This trick allowed me to feed my juvie aro right after the next day i got it.
I already run my tank at 28C/82F would you still advise going warmer?

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I already run my tank at 28C/82F would you still advise going warmer?
i keep my arowana at 30 degree celsius and have been doing so for the past 3 months. Just make sure there is enough aeration and then you can increase your temp by 2 degree celsius.
BTW have you tried feeding raw shrimp? My juvie aro first started eating that.
EDIT: trying putting the raw shrimp or prawn where there is flow in the water. The food going along the flow may help the aro think there is live fish and it might eat.
This is a trick i used to feed my gar but has also worked with my aro when i made it eat different foods.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The vendor fed the fish the same day that he shipped it? Seems like a bad idea to me...so I don't trust him...or else he is just saying that to get off the hook...so I don't trust him.

Maybe someone with much more experience than me with fish-by-mail could elaborate on this? I don't buy fish that way but I would never, ever feed a fish within the last couple days before I moved it anywhere that required spending time in a tiny volume of water during transit. Just seems like common sense to me, like getting your kids to go pee before a long car trip. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Midwater and AR1

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The vendor fed the fish the same day that he shipped it? Seems like a bad idea to me...so I don't trust him...or else he is just saying that to get off the hook...so I don't trust him.

Maybe someone with much more experience than me with fish-by-mail could elaborate on this? I don't buy fish that way but I would never, ever feed a fish within the last couple days before I moved it anywhere that required spending time in a tiny volume of water during transit. Just seems like common sense to me, like getting your kids to go pee before a long car trip. :)
You make a great point. Most good vendors don't feed before shipping because of the ammonia produced in the bag.

Reactions: jjohnwm and AR1

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
You make a great point. Most good vendors don't feed before shipping because of the ammonia produced in the bag.
Yes most reputable online sellers purge the fish before shipping as AR1 stated turn up the temp a little bit it does increase there metabolism and make them hungry also you can try to put garlic guard on his food that also helps with appetite

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

Jonnyakawombell

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Yes most reputable online sellers purge the fish before shipping as AR1 stated turn up the temp a little bit it does increase there metabolism and make them hungry also you can try to put garlic guard on his food that also helps with appetite
[/QUOTEpology

My bad, I was wrong I called the shop today and it wasn't fed the day of shipping, the shop said the fish was prominently eating prawns and it would take a pellet or two now and again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store