Decisions made.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I understand most of the advantages...and disadvantages!...of acrylic tanks as opposed to glass. I just checked our local supplier, who sells glass tanks that are made on-site at his warehouse, and he lists in stock 110-gallon glass tanks, made of 1/2-inch glass, 48 x 18 x 30 inches, at a price of $435Canadian...currently about $320US. Tack on a few bucks to build to your non-standard but similar dimensions, and I'm sure it would still be well under $500Canadian.

I have several tanks made by these folks; they are beautifully made, with perfect bubble-free joints and interior beads that are absolutely consistent and even. I spent several years in my teens working for a glass-tank builder who was an absolute OC fiend when it came to building tanks, and these locally-made ones are every bit the equal or superior of his hand-crafted gems. They are quality goods, not cheap crap

But...they're just boring old glass, without the high-techie "look" of acrylic (and, of course, without the looming specter of scratches resulting from not much more than harsh language...) and they are heavier.

I gotta ask: is lighter weight (on an object that will be moved likely once...into your house) and the look worth spending 4x or 5x as much cash for acrylic? What's the appeal?

I mean, you're saving money on things like meat thermometers for your water...but paying four times the money for the tank? It seems to me, just from perusing the tales of woe here on MFK, that acrylic tanks seem to suffer from at least as many structural and leakage problems as glass tanks...in fact, I'd guess even more.

Yeah, I know...I'm cheap. :)
Here's the rub...on the east coast ANY big tank (over 50 gals) you're gonna pay, glass or acrylic. Covid and post covid has made pricing a monster. Yeah a big glass tank is cheaper but only to a point, once you go past the 125 standard. Plus (1) I gotta pay someone to move the sucker and (2) I gotta pay someone to take away all the wood crate/nails. So any tank savings are lost.

With the acrylic I can move it myself plus the wrapping I can dispose of in a normal manner. I don't have to wait on anyone to help. I moved the 125 acrylic myself from the garage no problem...my brother helped me get it on the stand holding other end.

For example the 225 glass was marginally cheaper than acrylic. I wanted complete open access at the top for large deco. So I paid $400 for four dudes to put it on the stand from the distributor and then another $275 for a hauling company to take out all the huge nails and crating.

It's even hard to find the 150 boxy 4ft tanks the big box stores (Petco, Petsmart) used to sell. And you would still have to haul that out of the store yourself too.

Small glass tanks online are a waste of money and overpriced. People on craigslist and the like want you to buy the tank, all their old crusty stuff AND their fish. And then they want brand new prices, LOL.

Anything shipped for glass or acrylic you're gonna pay freight past 50 gallons. Nobody much will ship smaller glass tanks anyway because a lot of them get smashed up. You could go to Petco or Petsmart for a better deal. I think Amazon will ship larger glass (Marineland) but that's hit or miss being busted up.

To give you an idea of sourcing materials now...a company I did buisness with before (Michigan) would do custom assembled and breakdown angle iron stands holding up to 300 gallons. They're not doing that now because of scarcity of metal!!!

And in Cali people are just dumping big tanks right and left but they don't ship. So...what's their market? More locals dumping tanks?

Reactions: jjohnwm

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Just thought I'd share. The response from Dream Tanks when I told them I could get a much better price for the tank (1900 flat vs 2550)

View attachment 1547816 🤣
North American prices are daylight robbery.
I have been to visit friends in Canada and have noticed how all your middle men, and this tax, that cost for moving, this cost for placing it on a trolley, add in 50 bucks for the cap the guy moving it has to wear, add in 100usd for a tip because he did his job to the minimum specs. Oh you want padded to protect it during transit? that is an extra fee. IT IS INSANE.

Why I love Taiwan. Glass tanks mainly. Send manufacturer you mock up. Get quote. There are 2.1 is a pick up quote the other a delivered quote. The tank is their responsibility until set down in your house where you specify. The factory organizes, makes and delivers quickly. 2 weeks for 3 x 5' custom tanks all drilled.

For US$2000 I can buy a triple-drilled, 200gal+ tank with stand and sump because people here work to keep prices down. If you don't, someone else will. In N. Amer. after chatting to some people in different fields. Companies and private contractors price products based on market prices not actual costs of materials and labor. Oh! Company XY charges $1999.99 for this product and setup service. Well we only charge you $1899.99 for the same thing. Often, this is a product bought in its entirety from a third party manufacturer.

Yet no one has actually done in-depth cost analysis. They just look at what is the most they can get for the least amount of work. Living the dream not keeping the dream alive.
It ruins so many hobbies, activities and interests.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
The pricing from Glass tank companies. As you can see, there's no real savings for larger glass tanks. The 225 is from this company. Their builds are like tanks....heavy marine grade top frames and bracing. Any background you want. Black or clear seal.

Prices are for TANKS ALONE not including freight

Custom Aquariums. Least expensive version, not Starfire or tempered

1724438633177.jpeg

Glass Cages. You have to call for specific dimensions but these measurements give you an idea. They only do black backgrounds. Said to have exceptional quality also. I believe they do black and clear seals as well.

1724438979751.jpeg

The only inexpensive tanks are at Petco and Petsmart up to 125 gal. Good luck locating the 4ft boxy 150, they've been snatched up.

Something I should mention about standard vs custom sizes: It's about the cut, not the measurements. So even though my 45 x 23 x30 is not standard, the cut sheets would be. For example:

45 would be cut from 48
23 would be cut from 24
30 is standard sheet size

But if say I went to something like 33 high, that runs the price up because now they're cutting from a 36 inch sheet. This is why you could get a bigger tank for the same price IF you have the room. Just stay within the cut size. So a 36 tall won't run you any more than a 33 with the same dimensions.

Last edited:

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Update! Ran into a small issue with spacing. This is why before you get a tank you gotta measure like a mofo. Numbers are one thing but real space and space for the tank is another. So while 45 inches in length will fit on the wall ok it won't work in 3D. So you gotta account for volume size of the tank not just footprint. (totally glad I dumped the 48 inch template!)

First, I'm tall. So I have a good swing radius from my office chair. Even though 45 inches 'fits' on the wall fine it won't work for clearance. 42 inches is just manageable if I wiggle the template over to the end. 40 inches clears without me banging into anything or having to be careful. I have 3 inches of spare room at the other end. At 42 I would need to move everything down about 2 inches just to be sure.

Here's the floor template. I'm sitting at what would be normal viewing position. You see the markers for different lengths. For sure 45 is out. 42 would allow me to stay within the cut size for gallons.

I'll get back with John at Direct Tanks about a 40L x 24w x 30H (125)

and 40L x 24w x 32H (133)

second size probably more due to sheet cut but we'll see. I might do some research on maybe using one of those heavy duty workbenches for a stand but I''ll need to verify weight load. If anyone has used those with success, let me know.

main template.jpg

Last edited:

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I'd go 40 all day long.

That inconvenience of "having to" shuffle would be an insurmountable PITA for me. And being a little tall myself, my knees have been through enough.

Reactions: jjohnwm and FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
More decisions!

So right now I'm getting repairs/renovation done on the kitchenette downstairs. Had to pull some paint from the furnace room for the men and saw the leftover planks of maple tabletop wood from the 125. Not doing anything with it, so I'm thinking I can use these and not spend any more for tank support. I have 2 pieces I could double up.

Only thing, the cut is a funky size, 24 x 34 5/8. So now I'm looking at 24 x 34 base, which is even funkier. Can't go over 24 width so now it's up up and away!

These measurements are damn near a cube for sure...

24 x 34 x 30 106 GL (not feeling this one)

24 x 34 x 33 116 GL (still meh but ok)

24 x 34 x 36 127 GL (cool but height)

what y'all think? Still in the planning phase. Just thinking about utilizing the wood. As far as tools go for tall tanks I use trash grabbers for all the tanks.

Still would rather go 40, tho.

Maple is 3/4" thick.

plank 1.jpg

plank 2.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Tiny update.

Sometimes its good to keep supplies you think you may not need! I was debating a background for the future tank (I've settled on 40L x 24W x 32H) and since its a taller size I was going over ideas (an acrylic background would run an extra 225 bucks). Then I remembered I have a roll of blue background (it's 36 inches tall) I can use. It's a textured film with a bit of sparkle in the light. I used it on previous growout and qt tanks. There's a light adhesive on one side/

Here's the film

1724958376288.png

1724958608356.png

1724958682903.png

1724958864906.png

1724958956411.png

Reactions: DawnMichele

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Kids will love the colors especially on their first tanks. I wish they had a darker green or brown, I'd take a real look at that. Easy to remove with a hairdryer. At 36 inch height these films would be inexpensive even for the big 'uns. I went to an LFS that used mostly red backgrounds...looked totally cool.

Window films in gneral are agreat alternative background with unlimited textures, patterns and colors. For your sanity I'd recommend the clings that have some adhesive though.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store