Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Nice stash, funny to see the old crocodile hunter books, is he still big in the U.S?
Not as big as he once was unfortunately but there’s no surprise there since he’s been gone for so long sadly. He’s always been my biggest inspiration since I was a little kid.

Reactions: AR1

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Not as big as he once was unfortunately but there’s no surprise there since he’s been gone for so long sadly. He’s always been my biggest inspiration since I was a little kid.
I was never a great fan of him to be honest. The way he got dangerously close up to potentially deadly creatures, almost goading them at times, used to make my blood boil.

I think it was for the cameras more than anything. I used to think it was only a matter of time before he got badly hurt from a snake or a croc.

Never thought it would be a fish though!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I was never a great fan of him to be honest. The way he got dangerously close up to potentially deadly creatures, almost goading them at times, used to make my blood boil.

I think it was for the cameras more than anything. I used to think it was only a matter of time before he got badly hurt from a snake or a croc.

Never thought it would be a fish though!
That’s my hero you’re talking about ya muppet lol

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I don't know if you remember the ice bucket challenge. It was started to raise awareness of motor neurone disease and ended up a global phenomenon. You nominated someone to take the challenge before getting the bucket yourself. I found this priceless clip on you tube. Absolute gold this one.....

• Haha
Reactions: fishhead0103666

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Had an interesting conversation today. Was going over the paperwork concerning the warranties on a new car from a dealer. On top of the factory warranty they offer a lifetime warranty a do most now days. There is a sheet of must do's an owner must comply with in order to keep the extra warranty valid. In particular all specified services listed in the owner's manual must be done.
Went with the salesman to read from the owner's manual what those services will be. There is a list of required items for every year of ownership. Things such as oil changes, air filter changes, various inspections and the like. None of that was too unusual. Seemed a bit odd to have a required yearly inspection for such things.

At first the requirements to keep an extra powertrain warranty seemed a bit much. I was told changing my own oil & filter would void the warranty. Putting a K&N or other such air filter would void the extended warranty. I was about to dismiss these things and let that extra dealer warranty go way as i like to do my own oil changes, inspections and normal Maintenace. There was a kicker.

That kicker is I was the factory warranty would be voided as weel if I did not have the yearly inspections, oil & filter changes, air filter replacements as their choice, not my choice and other items on the list done either at a manufacturers dealer's shop or by an ASE certified mechanic. I wanted to be clear that I was now asking about the normal manufacture's warranty and not the extended warranty. The top service manager said such was the case. If i changed my own oil the factory warranty will be voided.

I told them my understanding this was not legal. I think there was a law passed decades ago about this sort of thing. I hope someone will know the name/title of that law. For decades I have bought oils, filters and other parts which meet or exceed factory specs. I often will use factory parts & oil during the warranty period. I keep the receipts and a personal record of my work dates and miles. I have been thinking such was good enough to keep a warranty valid.

On the way home i stopped by a different brands dealership to ask if they have such rules. They do not and see it the way i have done things for years.

Do any know the title of that law?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
There has been a bit of a reassesment of him here in the last few years, the main thought is itt was inevitable he would get killed by an animal sooner or later and maybe he should have taken things more seriously.
He was a good guy for sure, i still remeber how shocked i was when i heard he had been killed on the radio, theyactually interrupted the song they were playing to announce it.
Now you see his son on all the reality shows here and people complain that it now costs $170 per ticket to go to his zoo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store