Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Ahh,the Magnuson-Moss Act.....nope,never heard of it,so which car did you get?
Hello; Did not buy. It was at a Dodge dealership. A 2023 Charger RT. Walked after the head service manager tried to tell me something I knew was false. I was on the fence somewhat about the MPG's and the MDS system on the V8.
(MDS- a cylinder deactivation system which shuts down cylinders to save a little bit of fuel. Easy enough to stop spark & injectors with electronics. Problem area is the modified hydraulic valve lifters. They are known to fail so it isa crap shoot.)

Got an e-mail this afternoon. Seems the young salesman found out I was correct. Still wants to do the deal of course. The service manager ought to know better. My take it was a ploy to get me back in their shop. Prices for their factory parts seem high. Around $90 for an engine air filter. $90 for a cabin air filter. Oil change $140. Tire rotation $230. The inspection itself is to be free, but wanna bet some item will be needed every visit.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello; Did not buy. It was at a Dodge dealership. A 2023 Charger RT. Walked after the head service manager tried to tell me something I knew was false. I was on the fence somewhat about the MPG's and the MDS system on the V8.
(MDS- a cylinder deactivation system which shuts down cylinders to save a little bit of fuel. Easy enough to stop spark & injectors with electronics. Problem area is the modified hydraulic valve lifters. They are known to fail so it isa crap shoot.)

Got an e-mail this afternoon. Seems the young salesman found out I was correct. Still wants to do the deal of course. The service manager ought to know better. My take it was a ploy to get me back in their shop. Prices for their factory parts seem high. Around $90 for an engine air filter. $90 for a cabin air filter. Oil change $140. Tire rotation $230. The inspection itself is to be free, but wanna bet some item will be needed every visit.
Good choice anyhow,I've had a Charger or a Challenger for the past fifteen years.I recall you having a Mustang in your sights at one point.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Hey esoxlucius esoxlucius are you getting tickets to the oasis reunion concerts?
Absolutely not. I've never cared for their music. Damon Albarn from Blur had it spot on years ago when he used to refer to them as Quoasis, with a reference to Status Quo, who's records all sound the same! A lot of the guitar rifts from song to song sound similar but what really does it for me is Liam's whining vocal delivery.

Back in the day when the rivalry between Oasis and Blur was at its greatest, that comment from Damon really upset Noel and Liam. Maybe they realised he was on to something, lol.

Listening to their music is bad enough, but now I've got to listen to all the hype as it builds over the next few months too.

No, I don't like Oasis, one little bit!

Reactions: AR1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Good choice anyhow,I've had a Charger or a Challenger for the past fifteen years.I recall you having a Mustang in your sights at one point.
Hello; Mustangs like almost all cars have gone too digital is a minor thing. The big thing is they are the only such type of car left so no deals. The Charger deal is sweet in terms of price. I wanted a Challenger with the 5.7 V8 and six speed manual but found they require 91-93 octane gas. Around me that is a 70 cents/gallon premium in cost per gallon. A Challenger with the auto trans can use 87 octane. I am too picky sometimes.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Challenger with the 5.7 V8
I'd have thought in this day and age, what with the push for electric due to emissions and such, that this size of an engine would be completely banned by now.

The size of that engine is bad enough. If you were in the UK running that vehicle I assure you it would be parked in your garage all the time because, with our fuel prices you simply wouldn't be able to afford to run a beast such as that!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
fuel prices you simply wouldn't be able to afford to run a beast such as that!
The young people in the US don't care about high gas prices lol. Chrysler was smart to produce those fast ass vehicles because the youth love speed and recklessness.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The young people in the US don't care about high gas prices lol. Chrysler was smart to produce those fast ass vehicles because the youth love speed and recklessness.
There were a couple of people on my job traded their Dodge Challengers. One person told me during the winter he was close to having several accidents.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'd have thought in this day and age, what with the push for electric due to emissions and such, that this size of an engine would be completely banned by now.

The size of that engine is bad enough. If you were in the UK running that vehicle I assure you it would be parked in your garage all the time because, with our fuel prices you simply wouldn't be able to afford to run a beast such as that!
Hello; A thing is they make even bigger displacement engines. The 5.7 is about 350 or so cubic inches. Medium to small fry in terms of engine sizes. There are supercharged 700+ HP monster engines around. I want a V8 and picked one with among the least HP still available.

I am willing to have a civil discussion about emissions and such. I have been having this discussion for a few years in other places. One point is we all need such engines is order to continue viable lifestyles. Maybe not in passenger cars, but in transport vehicles such as trucks. After 2023 the Charger's V8 will be replaced with a turbocharged 6 cylinder of similar power.
The emissions questions is not clear cut in that ICE (internal combustion engines) are so bad compared to EV's. I can post a link about a Volvo study comparing EV emissions to ICE emissions if you or anyone else wishes. Essentially an EV can need to be driven around 68,000 miles before it starts having less emissions overall than a similar ICE. That is without EV battery recycling and the toxic fumes that come from the nearly uncontrollable EV fires.

But I get the point about fuel costs. Gas is not cheap anymore in the USA. I prefer a smaller car with a manual transmission such as my 2001 Nissan Sentra SE. It has the 2.0 liter SE-R engine and still gets near 35 MPG. I cannot find such a car now days. The price of fuel here is going up for reasons outside the free market cost of crude oil and refining costs. I suspect such is the same in the UK. We can discuss such as well.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

If the Green New Deal crowd gets their way it will be.....and it will start in California.
There were a couple of people on my job traded their Dodge Challengers. One person told me during the winter he was close to having several accidents.
Oh yeah,those big rear wheel drive vehicles don't perform well in bad weather....retired police pursuit Chargers with all wheel drive have become popular around here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store