cloudy eye recurrence and whether force-feeding kanamycin is viable?

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Greetings all, recently my NTT caught a cloudy eye so I immediately did a 40% WC and dosed the entire tank with kanamycin as I was afraid the entire tank might have caught it. luckily most things cleared up quite quickly with my datnoid returning to very clear eyes. unfortunately, he seemed to catch it again a couple of days ago, mind you this was not 2 weeks after I cleared up the original outbreak and he was the only one affected. I checked my water parameters yesterday and ammonia read 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 30, pH around 7.5 and I've been keeping up with my weekly water changes and have been very confused with the breakout. Currently, I have my NTT in a 20g tub with kanamycin but unfortunately no filters so I've been changing his water and moving him into the main tank every night as I don't have an extra heater for the tub. my schedule has me changing out all the water, redosing kanamycin every day in the 20g tub, and moving him back and forth from the tank and the tub at night and mornings as it gets too cold. his activity and behavior seem very normal but I was wondering if force-feeding kanamycin was okay. The original outburst was cured much faster as I dosed his food with the kanamycin and he ate it. unfortunately, he now has some struggles seeing the food so by the time he gets it, the kanamycin mixes into the water. is force-feeding viable? Let me know if there are any inconsistencies or issues with what I'm doing thanks!

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
sorry for the long text, here's a TLDR: NTT caught cloudy eye, dosed the entire tank, and cured really fast. NTT caught cloudy eye again within 2 weeks and now is isolated. wondering whether force feeding kanamycin is viable.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
sorry for the long text, here's a TLDR: NTT caught cloudy eye, dosed the entire tank, and cured really fast. NTT caught cloudy eye again within 2 weeks and now is isolated. wondering whether force feeding kanamycin is viable.
Kanamycin is readily absorbed from the water column w/o the need to eat. Not sure why it reoccurred but reconsider trying maracyn 2. Has similar coverage but much more for gram +bacteria. Increase water changes to twice a week after antibiotics.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Kanamycin is readily absorbed from the water column w/o the need to eat. Not sure why it reoccurred but reconsider trying maracyn 2. Has similar coverage but much more for gram +bacteria. Increase water changes to twice a week after antibiotics.
yeah that’s what i thought too but kanamycin doesn’t seem to have as much as an effect on him this time so i was wondering if it was a digestion difference. i’ll try maracyn, are there any additional instructions for maracyn in my isolated tank since i’ll still be doing daily WCs

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
yeah that’s what i thought too but kanamycin doesn’t seem to have as much as an effect on him this time so i was wondering if it was a digestion difference. i’ll try maracyn, are there any additional instructions for maracyn in my isolated tank since i’ll still be doing daily WCs
Shouldn’t be any additional instruction for when I remember. Always check the label though. Best of luck.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Shouldn’t be any additional instruction for when I remember. Always check the label though. Best of luck.
thanks, do you have any recommendations for good products that use maracyn-2? i got some on hand from fritz but i also see maracyn oxy with a quick google search, any differences between the two?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not sure but just make sure it’s maracyn2. Maracyn by itself has limited treatment too. I’ve used fritz products w/o issue. Easy dosing too especially for their other products, just IMO.

Reactions: shern

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When ever I see recurring bacterial issues, whether is cloudy eye infectiions, or HITH is in oscars and other cichlids, to me it is an indication that nitrates are too high, and are a breeding ground for these type infections to proliferate.

And consider 30 ppm nitrate residual a primary influence for disease.
The waters that these fish come from in nature, are often devoid of even the slightest residual nitrate, so as opposed to constant medicating, the solution is simply uping the water change schedluale.
to me a 20% to 30% water change schedulal is very wimpy, something more like 60% to 80% per week (or more)n may do a lot to solve the problem.

Reactions: shern

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
When ever I see recurring bacterial issues, whether is cloudy eye infectiions, or HITH is in oscars and other cichlids, to me it is an indication that nitrates are too high, and are a breeding ground for these type infections to proliferate.

And consider 30 ppm nitrate residual a primary influence for disease.
The waters that these fish come from in nature, are often devoid of even the slightest residual nitrate, so as opposed to constant medicating, the solution is simply uping the water change schedluale.
to me a 20% to 30% water change schedulal is very wimpy, something more like 60% to 80% per week (or more)n may do a lot to solve the problem.
oh really? my take on nitrates is that they aren’t that big of an issue in lower amounting and it hasn’t caused em much problem over the 7 years i’ve kept fish but if even a slight 30 ppm can cause issues i’ll definitely have to maybe try larger WCs, thought the later water changes might benefit the 250g though the pH of my tap is usually much higher than what my water should be so usually i do smaller WCs since i don’t have RO atm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store