cloudy eye recurrence and whether force-feeding kanamycin is viable?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
its quite difficult to maintain a 0 nitrate no? the WCs you would need would be extremely high along with the bioload.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Beside water the large changes, I had adapted to deal with excess nitrate about 20 years ago, I changed from using standard filtration methods to the use of heavily planted sumps as my main filration method, and my nitrates went from about 10 ppm to undetectable almost over night.
I now use a 125 gal sump to filter my 180 gal tank.
IMG_6835.jpeg
IMG_7686.jpeg
Being slightly brackish, mangrove trees are used, along with brackish tlerant vallisneria.
IMG_4210.jpeg
But even withe the heavy plant load, I still maintain about a 30% every other day water change schedule, to maintain nitrate at th same levels as the waters my fish are cought in.
IMG_4753.jpeg

Reactions: AR1 and kno4te

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
ah, i don’t run sump for my 250g, i rely on dual fx6s with one being chemical and the other being bio, a sump would probably help a lot in terms of filtration but i just can’t run one in my house.

Reactions: AR1

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The biggest problem I have with canisters, is that if they are not cleaned regulatly is that they become nitrate factories themselves.
As you know, the product of ammonia, and nitrite conversion is nitrate.
So unless the mechanical media is can is cleaned often, the by product is elevated nitrate.
This might mean that that media needs to be cleaned weekly, and water changes and nitrate results will be the key.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
i also don’t W
The biggest problem I have with canisters, is that if they are not cleaned regulatly is that they become nitrate factories themselves.
As you know, the product of ammonia, and nitrite conversion is nitrate.
So unless the mechanical media is can is cleaned often, the by product is elevated nitrate.
This might mean that that media needs to be cleaned weekly, and water changes and nitrate results will be the key.
thats true, i do monthly cleans and since i have two filters its nice cause i can clean the majority of one and still be able to bank off my other to carry the billed until the numbers replenish, i wish i could have a sump but it would be disastrous if anything went wrong with a sump where i live.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Dats are prone to cloudy eyes, and the overwhelming reason is water conditions. Not bacteria.

I don't think antibiotics will help at all. Once a dat has had cloudy eyes, he never really recovers.

Dats need large bodies of warm water with negligible nitrates. NTT come from the Mekong River, which is enormous.

ref: https://www.google.com/maps/@15.3339416,105.4872082,13.28z
is he really completely incurable? he seemed to get much better the first interaction he had with it but it did come back. i’m still using kanamycin since the manacyn 2 is still in the process of shipping. my tank temp is set at 80, should it be higher?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
is he really completely incurable? he seemed to get much better the first interaction he had with it but it did come back. i’m still using kanamycin since the manacyn 2 is still in the process of shipping. my tank temp is set at 80, should it be higher?
He might get better. And if so he might be prone to it again.

I would keep the water at 30C (86F).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store