The Red Devil Diary

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Just be sure to keep an eye on him because your Midas/RD might not take a liking to him/her. Your new RD will be looked at as either a potential mate or a rival, intraspecific aggression is much higher than interspecific aggression

Reactions: AR1

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Another week, another weekly water change for the “Fish of War”.

It seemed like Kratos was in an extra bad mood today because water change took me about an hour longer than usual and I think he turned the aggression up from a 7-8 to a 9-10. This time he was going after my hand with much more speed and power, I’m talking water splashing out of the tank type of speed and power. I remember half of his body was out of the water once when he tried to get me. It was a miracle I didn’t get tagged once but there were a couple near misses where you heard his jaws snapping shut. There is some serious power behind those jaws that amazes me every time.

That was when I decided “F it” and used the net method that Jexnell Jexnell uses. Worked for about 10 minutes before he got out and was back to going after my hand 🤣

After this water change session I can say that I haven’t had this much trouble with any of my other cichlids, (yes even my Butti). Kind of regretting now that I never got tagged by Bumblebee because it would’ve made bite force comparisons between these 2 species, which are known for having incredibly powerful jaws very very interesting. Am I crazy? Maybe😉

Couple pics during water change:

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

IMG_0062.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0108.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Any idea when it will grow its nuchal hump? My new RD/Midas is a bit smaller than yours but still has a nuchal hump.
All depends on genetics, it’s gotten slightly larger but Labiatus don’t really get large nuchal humps like Midas do, so who knows.

Reactions: AR1

Krackar

Feeder Fish
Sep 16, 2024
I'm just starting to get back into the hobby after nearly 25yrs. Your thread has me missing my old RD male. He had alot of attitude and would draw blood when cleaning his tank if I wasn't careful. I'd love to get another but I'm not sure my wifes idea of me getting a large tank involves a single fish in it lol. Anyway thanks for the thread. I'm looking forward to another update.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I'm just starting to get back into the hobby after nearly 25yrs. Your thread has me missing my old RD male. He had alot of attitude and would draw blood when cleaning his tank if I wasn't careful. I'd love to get another but I'm not sure my wifes idea of me getting a large tank involves a single fish in it lol. Anyway thanks for the thread. I'm looking forward to another update.
Welcome to MFK

Reactions: Krackar

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Well, if any fish can change your wife’s mind then it’s definitely the Amphilophus family. I’ve been pretty busy but I’ll give an update on him soon. He’s slowed down in growth now. Probably around 8 inches, nuchal hump still the same.

Reactions: Krackar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store