If You Had the Money, Would You Rather Own a Cybertruck or a Real Truck?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Hmmm, i see. It seems the hilux is now some sort of actual truck. It appears to be analogous to our tacoma but with a diesel powertrain. I was thinking the old 4runner/hilux suvs from the 90s. It may be able to handle that load as our stateside tacomas can be found pulling such stunts as well, i would still want more truck though.
The Hilux has basically been the workhorse for the entire farming industry since the mid 70s.

I dont think youve traveled through enough of the US if youre making a statement like that.
I don't think you've traveled through enough of NZ, you're welcome to come visit and spend some tourist money here.

These kind of roads are not the concern for trailering though, its the highways, traveling at speed through congestion, bad weather, or just the terrible drivers youre often confronted with when touring our countryside.
Traveling at speed, lol. Those types of highways are rare here, and trailers are limited to 90kph/55mph anyway.
Additionally, your bigger American trucks require a heavy truck license, you'd need to take a theory test, present a medical certificate. The Ford Ranger and F150 are both just a little below the 3500 kg/ 7700lb GVWR limit.

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The Hilux has basically been the workhorse for the entire farming industry since the mid 70s.

I don't think you've traveled through enough of NZ, you're welcome to come visit and spend some tourist money here.

Traveling at speed, lol. Those types of highways are rare here, and trailers are limited to 90kph/55mph anyway.
Additionally, your bigger American trucks require a heavy truck license, you'd need to take a theory test, present a medical certificate. The Ford Ranger and F150 are both just a little below the 3500 kg/ 7700lb GVWR limit.
I was referring to the hilux surf which i sometimes see for sale over here. Like i said, mistaken identity, my bad. Whatever the case its still a small truck for carrying small loads.

Id love to spend some time in your country. Its not high on my list though. I think i saw most of the good stuff in lord of the rings.

I have a CDL for work purposes, which you need for trucks over 26000 lbs here. Half-ton, 3/4 ton, and 1-ton pickups do not require any special license here. Are you saying you need a special license to drive an f-350 over there? The f150s here boast 12000 lbs towing capacity, way over 3500kg. But like i said before, i wouldnt want to trailer a load like that in an f-150, or 3500kg in a ranger. Just because its rated for that much doesnt mean its the best idea. Here in america we close the deal first, then call the insurance company when we flip our pontoon over on the highway and injure/kill half a dozen motorists.

chrisgriffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2024
Would y'all rather driver a Real truck or an Ev "truck"??

My neighbor has every Tesla vehicle known to man. The Model Y, Model 3, and now the Cybertruck. He pulled up in my driveway with that monstrosity about an hour ago, to give me a whole car review that I didn't ask for. At first I thought it was cool because I'd never seen one in person, but after about 15 minutes of him yapping about all the features I was kind of unimpressed. While it can accelerate fast, is made of solid medal, and looks like a glitchy vehicle from an old video game, it isn't much different from the Rivian truck( another Ev "truck") .

I drive a Real truck... Ford Raptor, along with an Esclade V, and my Patrol vehicle which is a Chevy Suburban,but if I hade to drive a geeky mobile I actually would prefer the Rivian over the Cybertruck. I'm not an Elon fan, while I do appreciate the things he's done with SpaceX, and Twitter, I ain't driving no fully electronic Elon-mobile, nor any ev. The Ford Lightning is a disgrace, the Mustang Mach-e is a disgrace, as with most Ev's.

Clearly, my opinion is biased as I'm an American, but I was wondering what y'all's opinions where on the matter.
apart for being stupidly expensive, rare, despite only being a few years old, and if you don't turn on some buttons on a tablet that it has to enable it into "carwash mode" it breaks down completely when any carwash water hits it. (the warranty doesn't cover that) i would love to own one of these purely for how stupid they look, tesla marketed it as "bullet proof" and i was like... why would you need that?? who is this "truck" for?? it can't even go offroad!

i've only seen a cybertruck once, i found it pretty cool to be honest, i would never use it for anything though, i much prefer the 2012 toyota prius.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I was referring to the hilux surf which i sometimes see for sale over here. Like i said, mistaken identity, my bad. Whatever the case its still a small truck for carrying small loads.

Id love to spend some time in your country. Its not high on my list though. I think i saw most of the good stuff in lord of the rings.

I have a CDL for work purposes, which you need for trucks over 26000 lbs here. Half-ton, 3/4 ton, and 1-ton pickups do not require any special license here. Are you saying you need a special license to drive an f-350 over there?
Yes, it does.

The f150s here boast 12000 lbs towing capacity, way over 3500kg.
Looks like it's rated at 10K lbs here. I'd expect more from a $110K USD for the newest one(2022) I can find for sale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store