Levamisole

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
Curious of others experiences with it. Only thing I could find local was expel p which is just levamisole..I used 6 packets to 60 gal tank pretty much the advised dosage on the box, works out to 2ppm if I understand it correctly. I was relieved I had found my problem that I think she has had since I got her. caved in forehead that has never went away and always been hit and miss on food but she had gone pretty much off food, was getting lethargic so had to do something and levamisole seemed to fit the bill..she started moving around and worms coming out of her like crazy within 30 min of treatment but unfortunately within 8hrs she was gone. Treated at 8pm woke up around 4am to check on her and she was thrashing a bit and death curling and water had gotten cloudy (checked amonia with api test kit and was 0), I immediately did a 80% water change anyways just to get rid of the meds but it was too late. Had previously ran multiple courses of praziquantel and metronidazole since early august making 0 difference. This is a picture of one of the many worms that were coming out of her.

IMG_9022.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Cb or wild caught ray?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I use levamisole for twenty four hours on all my feeder fish, and anything wild caught. Seems to work well with little side effects.

Reactions: tlindsey

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
Just trying to do some good checking before I treat my 600 gal, she was linked into the system so I see no choice but to treat it. I seperated her tank from the sump for the levamisole treatment. Rays in the big tank are much bigger and are not currently having problems so I’m hoping they won’t be affected. But my thinking is if I don’t treat I run the risk of them being infected with parasites.

Reactions: Midwater

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
So I sucked it up and bought a decent microscope to try and learn as much from this as I can, and unfortunately looks like i was right and another ray may have been infected with worms.it seem heathy without any symptoms yet.. I managed to get a poop sample (only downside is I know it wasn’t fresh probably 6hrs old) I clearly can make out worms and best id I can manage tells me they are nematodes. I have levamisole on hand ready to go but am scared to use it. I know it’s effective.. just want more testimonials and pointers to treat safely. Or maybe what I’m seeing isn’t anything to worry about???
IMG_9289.jpegIMG_9288.jpeg

Reactions: jjohnwm

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Might be right what you are seeing. Think from your prior episode with the first ray that you may want to treat to avoid a repeat episode. Posted the list of stingray safe meds. This is what most keepers were using to by give any meds. Still apply perhaps. Levamisole is on there.

Reactions: Austin1234
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store