1000 gallon build

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Moontanman;1871834;1871834 said:
jamey, did you think of gluing slabs of real polished granite together to make your tank? what you have done is really great but your mention of granite made me think of something I've been wanting to do. slabs of granite glued together to make a box and a glass front.
Granite is porous. It has to be sealed to be water proof.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
jamey0615;1871945; said:
Granite is porous. It has to be sealed to be water proof.
Really, inch thick slabs? I guess I'll stick to epoxy covered plywood. You really did build a beautiful tank dude, I have a design for one that would allow pelagic fish to be kept but it's beyond me in cost to build. I did build a 3000 gallon aquarium once in my greenhouse. It was odd looking but it was cool too.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
jamey0615;1871791; said:
The wife talked me out of all Granite, but its still going to have a large Granite table built into the slot right below the tank.
I agree with the wife, Plus the table would be a great sit down area to go over options with clients.. (sign here please)

:woot::clap

I cant remember, when was it you said you were you coming up to my house to start then next one?

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
Sweet!!! That's a nice "trim" if you can call it that! I'm jealous, when I finish my basement, can you make trims all around for me? :D

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
Moontanman;1871956; said:
Really, inch thick slabs? I guess I'll stick to epoxy covered plywood. You really did build a beautiful tank dude, I have a design for one that would allow pelagic fish to be kept but it's beyond me in cost to build. I did build a 3000 gallon aquarium once in my greenhouse. It was odd looking but it was cool too.
Something else Jamey can back me up on is that Granite is VERY brittle. I'd bet you'd have to go in excess of 3" thick before it would handle the water pressure- and that's only on the short side walls. So it would not be a good material to build a tank out of, structurally speaking.

Although, if you had a taste for that kind of thing you could always line the inside of the tank with granite. I think that would look a little too mausoleum for me though.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Oreo;1872149; said:
Something else Jamey can back me up on is that Granite is VERY brittle. I'd bet you'd have to go in excess of 3" thick before it would handle the water pressure- and that's only on the short side walls. So it would not be a good material to build a tank out of, structurally speaking.

Although, if you had a taste for that kind of thing you could always line the inside of the tank with granite. I think that would look a little too mausoleum for me though.
It was a thought I'd been mulling over for sometime. I really hadn't investigated the granite as a building material but I thought it would be neat for things like coral to grow attached to. There is a place near me that displays huge slabs of granite outside their business and it looks like it would be beautiful, so many different colors and designs. I think they specialize in granite counter tops. I often get small sample pieces and they intrigue me as a building material. I whish I had room for a tank half as big as the one in this thread. My plywood tank didn't survive the move to teh new house, it leaks now. It is 24 years old so I got my moneys worth I think. Even if it would work, granite would be very exspensive.......

SoCalDiscus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2007
Irvine, CA
www.socaldiscus.com
The trim looks awesome! Along with the rest of the build of course.

wise175

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
tennessee
I've just gotta say that is a very nice set up you have there. Fantastic job!

:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

Drizzt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2006
Central California
Very nice. You built it relatively fast considering how busy you were and the amount of detail that went into everything. All I have to say is "kudos" master 1000 gallon tank builder. I bow down to your awesomeness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store