1000 gallon build

WolfFisho1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
cvermeulen;1508007;1508007 said:
In a tank this large and deep I would recommend using a REVERSE undergravel filter, otherwise all the crap will accumulate in your gravel, and I would not want to do a gravel vac on that unit. You will likely want some surface skimming too, so a combo of overflows and midwater uptakes would probably work the best. I used something similar with one large overflow and a good sized powerhead to keep waste from settling, and my gravel stayed pretty clean.
this probably would be better than having a undergravel filter.

use undergravel jets to really squirt a ton of gph through the gravel so all of the poop gets pushed into the water column which will then be sucked up by te overflow u are making(i hope u'll have one) and some other intakes near middle hieght in the back a lot

like the fioltration in the 1700 shark tank under the MFK articles i love his filtration system because his large tank is clean! :O all the other huge ones get gross green water and cloudy!

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
cvermeulen;1508007;1508007 said:
In a tank this large and deep I would recommend using a REVERSE undergravel filter, otherwise all the crap will accumulate in your gravel, and I would not want to do a gravel vac on that unit. You will likely want some surface skimming too, so a combo of overflows and midwater uptakes would probably work the best. I used something similar with one large overflow and a good sized powerhead to keep waste from settling, and my gravel stayed pretty clean.
What if i have about 2" of space under the acrylic, (filter) and i was thinking about putting jets for circulating the water under the gravel.

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Anybody else have any ideas on the type of filtration i should use on a tank this large. I always like to hear new ideas.
:popcorn:

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
cool

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
jamey0615;1507968; said:
I think i am going to make my own undergravel filtration unit. I will begin by using 1/2 acrylic and drilling a few hundred holes as big as possible. I will be using a large gravel for substrate, so it will not pass thru the acrylic. But hopefully everything else will. I will make 2" legs out of pvc and bond them to the floor of the tank to allow space for the water to circulate under the gravel and be sucked into the intake of the sump.
That would be the best way to filter large tank, the undergravel-overflow input with return jets pushing concept. The mentality for large graveled tanks is to just let dirt breakdown on the substrates and just do massive water changes, unless you are willing to vacuum big tanks. Reverse undergravel helps but why work against gravity? That lessens the efficiency of your filter. Why not just let it drop to the bottom and just have a return push it towards the undergravel- overflow intake? I would recomend that you just use a cheaper egg crate air diffuser instead of 1/2 holed acrylic. HOled acrylic will be a lot of work and no matter how tight you make the holes it will still not be as good as egg crates in letting the dirt pass. I have the same tank cleaning concept built in my tank and it is doing GREAT!!!! I clean my tank by just turning on the flushing valves and all the dirt comes flying out. check out my build http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85132

bluefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
South Dakota
eh1421;1493895; said:
i would go blue or black myself
nice tank
mike
I second the motion for black. I have an all black glass tank (gravel and background) and it looks sensational, I think. Dark enough green would look good also.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Any updates? you made tons of progress then fell off the planet!

prankur

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2007
canada
that really cool i wish i could have the same tank and if i would had i would put clownloaches,bgkf

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store