1000 gallon build

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Looks nice. Looks kinda like a pool or something ;) What are the seam-like lines down the back of the tank? just fiberglass overlapping? And what are the studs poking out the top for? Are you mounting the hood with those or something?

That light color will show algae pretty clearly unfortunately... maybe you need a big pleco to compliment your stock list - mine do a good job keeping my background spotless.

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
cvermeulen;1505527;1505527 said:
Looks nice. Looks kinda like a pool or something ;) What are the seam-like lines down the back of the tank? just fiberglass overlapping? And what are the studs poking out the top for? Are you mounting the hood with those or something?

That light color will show algae pretty clearly unfortunately... maybe you need a big pleco to compliment your stock list - mine do a good job keeping my background spotless.
The seams just overlap, and the bolts are where i bolted all top and bottom plates.

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Tilapia Buttikoferi;1505481;1505481 said:
Wow, that gelcoat came out *****in! I like the color, not to bright and not to dark either. Do you have pics of the holes drilled and glassed for the bulkheads? Oh and are peacock bass native to the amazon region?
Just got the tank back today. No holes for plumbing yet.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
umm.............................................wow that was quik! NICE WORK BTW. what sort of company did u go to to get the expoxying done like a boat building place or wat??

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
amehel0;1506865;1506865 said:
umm.............................................wow that was quik! NICE WORK BTW. what sort of company did u go to to get the expoxying done like a boat building place or wat??
No, i went to a place called fiberez near my office. I bought 5 gallons of gelcoat, and had the fiberglass shop apply it with paint rollers.

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
I think i am going to make my own undergravel filtration unit. I will begin by using 1/2 acrylic and drilling a few hundred holes as big as possible. I will be using a large gravel for substrate, so it will not pass thru the acrylic. But hopefully everything else will. I will make 2" legs out of pvc and bond them to the floor of the tank to allow space for the water to circulate under the gravel and be sucked into the intake of the sump.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
In a tank this large and deep I would recommend using a REVERSE undergravel filter, otherwise all the crap will accumulate in your gravel, and I would not want to do a gravel vac on that unit. You will likely want some surface skimming too, so a combo of overflows and midwater uptakes would probably work the best. I used something similar with one large overflow and a good sized powerhead to keep waste from settling, and my gravel stayed pretty clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store