210 gallon Frontosa build

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I’ve finally started the process of site prep for a planned 210 gallon Frontosa aquarium. The tank and stand will be delivered in the first two weeks of July, so I’m starting to get excited for the project. Thanks to all the contributors to this forum, especially neutrino neutrino , for responding to my dozens of questions as I thought through the process.

Today, I sorted out the electrical backend. I needed to install a GFCI outlet on the 6-foot span where the tank will sit. A bit of a mess, as I had to run the wire beneath a load-bearing beam behind my drywall, but at the end it turned out beautifully.

The outlet is powered from a dedicated 15 amp circuit - now triumphantly marked “fish” in my panel - which is connected to a Generac automatic propane generator system. This way, if the power goes out the generator will automatically kick in and keep my fish alive.

I’ll keep updating this thread as I move through the process of the build.

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Collected my landscape rocks today. Washed them off and used the “rock identifier” app to give me a sense of what I’m working with.

The first large group of dark rocks came back as “serpentine” - a metamorphic stone. They are extremely heavy. The lighter-reddish rocks came back as Unakite and Gneiss. The final photo came back as either limestone or slate. If any geologists are in the audience tonight, do these stones all look good for aquarium usage? From my preliminary reading, it seems all but the limestone could go in quite easily.

Also, how much rock can I put in the 210? These stones are very hard and very heavy - easily a few hundred pounds - so I want to make sure I don’t have problems. I’m going to use egg crate under the rockwork to spread out the weight, IMG_4207.jpegIMG_4208.jpegIMG_4210.jpeghist

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Arrival day!

Pleased as punch to finally welcome this Aqueon 210.

Holy mackerel, though, it was heavy. Had to move it down a narrow staircase. I had four men, including a power lifter, and it was still a job for the books. I feel like 350 lbs on paper sounds one way, but when it’s swaying back and forth down a stairwell it feels another way. Is everyone in this forum just absolutely jacked? How are you all moving your big tanks?

Either way, got it set up. Next comes leveling, rockwork, substrate, and filtration. Probably still a few days from trying to get it to hold water. Wish me luck!

IMG_4241.jpeg
IMG_4243.jpegIMG_4261.jpeg

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Nice! What type of fronts are you getting? I would suggest blue Zaire variety as the deep blues are so stunning. They are typically more expensive than Burundi or Kigoma but well worth the extra!

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nice! What type of fronts are you getting? I would suggest blue Zaire variety as the deep blues are so stunning. They are typically more expensive than Burundi or Kigoma but well worth the extra!
I started the project planning to get some Mpimbwe or Moba c. gibberosa, which are completely beautiful, but here in Canada I’ve only been able to find sources for wild-caught which arrive at approximately 5-10” and are $170 apiece.

I like the idea of growing some out myself and then as they age figuring out the sex ratio. Plus, if I buy regular Burundi’s from my LFS, the procedural elements of acquiring the fish are a little easier. So I think I’m going to go c. frontosa (Burundi).

Reactions: danotaylor

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I understand. Shipping is pretty straight forward these days for people who do it regularly.

Just to tempt you a little, lol, Butch does ship to Canada. Here’s a link to his MOBA. 2-2.25” @ $50usd is pretty reasonable for fish already coming up on a year old 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll be following your thread!

• Love
Reactions: Caperguy99

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I understand. Shipping is pretty straight forward these days for people who do it regularly.

Just to tempt you a little, lol, Butch does ship to Canada. Here’s a link to his MOBA. 2-2.25” @ $50usd is pretty reasonable for fish already coming up on a year old 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ll be following your thread!
Wow, this is amazing. I’ve just emailed the proprietor to see whether we can arrange shipping.

Perhaps my dream of a c. gibberosa tank is not yet quashed!

Reactions: danotaylor

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I sure am hoping Butch can help make your dream come true mate!
Watching and waiting to hear the outcome of your contact with him :popcorn:

Whereabouts in Canada are you anyway? I know a guy in Detroit who breeds Kitumba Gibbs. If you were in the Toronto area you guys could possibly meet at the border?

Reactions: Caperguy99
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store