4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Plan

1) Sheath the front wall around the window (not the part that jogs around the house support beams) with 1/4 sanded plywood.

2) Sheathing will be glued with Liquid Nails in place. We can use drywall screws to secure it.

3) Coat the new sheathing with Max ACR epoxy resin and fiberglass matt.

4) Run a bead of Dow 795 in the corners where the sheathing meets the Permadri Rubber Coat coated walls.

Any concerns?

Ozkar

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2007
Baltimore, MD
One concern, I have not used Permadri, but how sure are you about the Dow 795 bonding to both the MaxACR and the Permadri? I thought silicone products like the Dow 795 did not adhere very well to rubber, which the Permadri is very similar to. I could be wrong on this, but you should research or test it first.

Here is an example using my own experience: I found GE silicone 1 adheres VERY well to PondShield epoxy dry, only to have it fail and peel off after being under water for a little while. So you may want to do a small scale test using the appropriate materials and check it under water.

My 3000 gallon build using PondShield on wood only lasted 4 years. I am considering Permadri for my rebuild, so I am very interested in your experiences and hopefully success with that product.

Good luck Pete.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Dow 795 bonds very well to Permadri in my experience.

I'm considering pulling off the 2x6 frame from behind the window in order to make sheathing the front wall easier. I don't really like the way it partially impairs the view into the tank. I think it will look cleaner and remove all the screws that punctured the original sheathing. I'm hesitant because the Dow 795 bonds to Permadri so well. I guess if I take it off I'll find out how well.

Thoughts?

Ozkar

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I dont know for sure. That was 4 years ago. I knew at the time to sand the surface to give it some bite, but could I have neglected to do that where the silicone peeled off? Yes, its possible. Good point.

Is there any sanding necessary or other prep for using the Dow 795 on the Permadri?

Did you have to do anything between coats of Permadri?

One piece of advice I will recommend is to definately use fiberglass cloth in the seams, joints, and corners when using the MAXACR, PondShield, and similar epoxy products.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blacktarotannis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2010
Deltona, Fl
www.youtube.com
:popcorn: Omg so excited..... Go Pete.... I'm going to pick up some sand for my tank. What are you going to use for yours? Sand or gravel... Maybe river rocks? If you has said it... That was pages ago lol.. I'm still pulling for you! :headbang2

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Nope, no sanding with Dow 795 and Permadri. Both are rubber. As you might know, Dow 795 doesn't cure the same method as regular silicone. There's virtually no smell to it at all.

You don't have to do anything between coats other than give it a little time to tack up (couple hours or so).

Don't know for sure on the substrate. Sand would be nice for some rays, but I'll have to be sure to have a settling trap on the intake plumbing.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
As you might know, Dow 795 doesn't cure the same method as regular silicone. There's virtually no smell to it at all.

No smell at all :) just takes damn near a month to fully cure :/ Really good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store