600 gallon ca cichlid tank

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
One thing I have found with these bad rep fish is the larger the tank the more tolerant they seem to be. I saw fish aggression go way down when I moved my fish from a 120g (60x18x26) to a 210g (72x24x29). Madness is raising his fish in a large tank also. So just imagine if you like the OP had 600g to work with.

clekchau

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
tx
www.clekchau.com
You should be fine. I have a 3 incher in my big boy tank and she is doing great. My male was 5" when he went in, and is now pushing 9". He is way down in the pecking order, and is actually quite peaceful and is turning out to be a perfect community addition. I feel that they get a bad rap. But then again I have Devils in there also and they have a bad rep also.
yeah from what i am experiencing all these guys a are individuals, i read the jaguar was aggressive and he's so mellow almost like a silver dollar lol but the pearseii who's supposed to be mild mannered chases some of the viejas and doesn't put up with anyone. also, putting the chancho in time out didn't help so he's going to be the first rehomed, my daughter wants him as a wet pet so that will be another project for early next year lol the joys of cichlids.

on another note, the jaguar only eats frozen krill, any advice on getting him to eat pellets?

clekchau

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
tx
www.clekchau.com
thanks fishman for your help! he eats krill from my fingers, hopefully soon he will come around he looks at it but ignores...

another question, i don't want to sound dumb but is this a hartwegi or fernestratus?

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
MN
where did you get your tank from? Also, can you share more about the stand and filters? I'd love to rid of all my tanks and just get one like this.

Madness

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Puyallup, WA
Thanks madness! How long have you been keeping these fish you know them so well lol
Been keeping fish for years, but really love the Vieja/Paratheraps. I have just done a lot of reading and research as to the habits and look of each one. Plus own at least 2 of all the species, so know what mine look and looked like. :)

pckts

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
long beach Cali
Can we see some pictures of the nine incher you have in the community tank? The only 8''+ grammode I have seen on this site was CCHC's grammode. I have had grammodes and Jags (saw you said your jag was a big puppy dog) I understand every fish has its own personality but i would def keep an eye on that 9'' grammode. Ive seen numerous stories on how they can snap over night (Just like dovii). But I have def heard a lot more successful stories on keeping Jags in community tanks, thats for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store