Above the Tavern with Parka!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
I imagine big schools of lots of different small fish and a nice big crew of angelfish as the main attraction.
Ahhh... I Do imagine it!
How soon until you get started?
It sorta already is set up and waiting on... ME! I will be doing this very very soon. And since I can reach the bottom in Cleveland, I will be taking all the rocks from Akron and getting more flat rocks and I like to build cubbies along part of the back wall, a whole bunch of craggy fish apartments and they sell out fast, Posh Cleveland gets High Rent! Speaking of High, I just want to give you and erry body a friendly Heads Up about My Inner Junkie. It's probably Best you don't look 'eem in the eye, because, Man Alive, I don't know how he does it but if you make eye contact with My Inner Junkie, the next thing you know, he might be sleeping on your couch and he Will be eating all your favorite Breakfast Cereal. I like My Lucky Charms!

We will chat later, Good Evening!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Parka Parka , Self Reporting! I did lose my phone just this evening and it might very well be at the Community Garden. I had pics too, because I had plans for a discussion of the City Series of Aquariums. Akron, Cleveland and Chicago are all three in the clear water! I wanted a new phone anyway. Even if I find it, I'm getting a new phone.

1. Outdoor Pool. A whole bunch of good news, things are happening that I dint expect, good things. I took a pick too, but my phone got lost! Now pay attention since I have to use my words. On the trickle filter I have an 8 foot section of flow out drain. I also tossed several handfuls of lava rock along the drain, well by accident I created a Protein Skimmer! For the past few days, overnight a large mass of thick bubbles builds up where the Lava Rocks impede the water flow. During the day, the sunlight seems to sorta melt the foam down. It starts puffing back up in the evening. Sassafras Sassafras , can you explain the foam?

I'm also surprised in a good way that the Koi in the pool are NOT eating the water lettuce.

I have been feeding the Koi 2 to 3 times a day, in Cleveland, everybody only got fed once per day in my feeble attempt to keep nitrates down. And even though they are getting fed 2 to 3 times more than when they were in Cleveland, the nitrate levels in the pool show at or near zero PPM.

Another surprise, in the pool, the sponges in the pre-filter were very clogged with a muddy like, sorta algae colored, 'pool gravy', it is a sloppy goop but it is not foul, now, in the sponges I saw hundreds of tiny tiny, very tiny red colored worms... Has anybody else seen that in the hobby? I wonder if they are blood worms?
If you want to build me a tank
If I could, I would!! Eventually all of my tanks will need a new home. And I'm not at all concerned about 'making a buck', I would be just as happy to donate to a deserving and kind soul as I would selling them.

I have been having some great aquarium days lately and I'm really leaning hard to using the Mighty Chicago, instead of the Posh Cleveland, to do this gigantic community tank... I'm getting tired though, I bet I find my phone tomorrow and then I can finish this Report WITH pics! I'm going to the Pet Shop tomorrow!

Good Night!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Hi Everybody! I can't Show-Off because my phone never showed up and I can't Show-Off if I can't show pics. All's I can do is use my words to Boast & Gloat, My Outdoor Pool is going very well! I thought my Hoggish Splashers would eat ALL the water lettuce in short order, they have not eaten any of it as far as I can tell. On the contrary the water lettuce is growing and spreading, it's really quite nice looking covering most of the water surface. And the nitrates continue to be undetectable with my test kit, so pleased!

Separating my Koi from my Goldfish, that was long overdue and both groups seem much happier. I will be turning the Mighty Chicago into a large community tank, all my indoor tanks are looking so fine. Akron is coming down soon, all swimmers to be relocated to the Mighty Chicago.

I did go to a pet shop last Sunday but the fish worker was working harder NOT to work, it was weird! After waiting about a half hour, I left, unhappy! this was a Petco and good help is hit or miss.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Not sure why I'm just now seeing your post from 8/17. Interesting about the foam and "protein skimmer" effect. If there is lots of turbulence and plenty of dissolved organics, I could see the foam forming, much like waves on the beach depositing foam above the water line. Only thing is, the foam needs to be removed from the pond system to actually clean the water. Does the foam go down the drain? If so, good, you are removing organics before they degrade into other compounds or build up in the system.

Reactions: Parka

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Interesting about the foam and "protein skimmer" effect.
Yeah, I thought so too. It stopped happening about a week ago and when it would build up overnight, it would get as big as a couple grapefruits but it would sorta disintegrate in the sunshine. I didn't try to remove any of it, I'm just trying to understand what is going on, because in the past few days, the pond water has cleared and it seems like adding the Koi to the pond may have had a positive effect on the water cycle?

And Sassafras Sassafras , just like you mentioned, I looked out the window this morning and one of them so called, Great Blue Herons, the long legged storky looking creep was eyeballing my Fancy Outdoor Splashers! I went out on the deck and yelled at it, it ignored me so I waved my arms at it and it flew off only to return 5 minutes later! I threw my GD sliffard at it, size 12, I missed but it knew I was pist and it did NOT return... yet. That I know of. It must have either, A, eaten all my Koi, or B, spooked the daylights outta them because they have not showed up for food. I think they are just playing it safe, I got plastic pipe sections for my guys to hide in.

I still don't have a new phone yet, but when I do, Show Off & Tell Above the Tavern shall resume with Full Gusto and Big Vigor, My identical triplet cousins, nobody can tell us apart! Good Evening!

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
You might want to get some netting and put it over your pond. They sell bird netting for fruit trees at the big box building supply stores. I guess chicken wire or other plastic netting material would work, if you happen to have it laying around. Hope you ran him off before he got any fish.

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
You may want to put some bird netting over the pond. The big box building supply stores sell it for covering fruit trees. I guess chicken wire or other plastic netting would work if you happen to have it laying around. If you listened carefully to him croak as he flew off, you may have heard him saying...
9434l-1153580933.gif

• Haha

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Hi Dummies! er... I meant Monsters, High Monsters! My Inner Junkie finally gots my password and he's in charge today, Chat ya Later, at My earliest Convenience,
Good Day!

I got me a new phone too, it's a good one! Show Off & Tell Tall Tales, it's how I Boast!
pool covered.jpg

Reactions: AR1

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Good Evening! I got news, the good kind! I probably, well for sure I have dozens, maybe hundreds of baby Koi in the pool! It happened by accident. I was able to catch 2 of the young fish, I put them in the 20 gallon long window tank.

Also the water finally cleared about 2 weeks ago and since it has cleared, the nitrates are showing up at my estimate, 5 to 10 ppm? It looks low to me... and it has been staying at the level since the water cleared. Now, with all those Koi juvies and they are already 1.5" long, that pool could get overstocked in a hurry. It's my understanding that baby koi and goldfish need frequent water changes and I don't even know what I will do with so many fish. I can't raise them for more than a couple months.

Now I still get tired and run out of gas, but I still have NOT took me an outdoor nap yet, gall dang it! The good thing is our climate here in the Atlanta area is favorable for outdoor napping well into the Autumn season so I'm still hopeful!

The pics can be discussed at YOUR convenience, Good Evening!
pool has cleared.jpgfull coverage.jpgwater lettuce growth.jpgnew pump 40 watt.jpg

Reactions: Sassafras

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
What a fantastic surprise! I've always heard that fish breed like crazy when moved outside into a pond or tub situation. Did you lose many of the adult koi to the heron? What is the plan for the mega-air pump? Is there a local fish store that might take the young koi? Sounds like they are growing fast!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store