Above the Tavern with Parka!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Yeah, that green water, in the Outdoor Pool, I'm running a larger pump than what I started with, from a 600 gph to a 1,350 GPH and I'm using one of those 12" box filters as a pre-filter but I was wondering if the water was being much more forcefully moved, like if it was churning, I'm a Lousy water Scientist!

Another question: I think it was here at this forum and I wished I asked but I saw an indoor pond build and this builder had THREE 55 gallon drums as filters! I wish i knew what was inside those, I was very interested! I probably saw it when i was logged off, that's why I didn't ask. And the sump stuff, as I go, I might try to do some hang on back type of deal with sump features.

I also wouldn't mind adding a second outdoor pool to make my system twice as Awesome! It sounds like you are very familiar with salt tanks, I am not but brackish lagoon fish might be my calling, eventually!

We are pretty dry here too so we are past due for rain.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Not long after I logged off last message, it started to rain and it rained for almost 4 hours and my rain collector worked great. The pool was about 300 gallons shy of full and after about two hours the pool was topped off with rain water! This is a really fun project plus it will help keep the water bill easier to pay.
Love your rainwater collection/water change system-simple and effective as long as the roof is reasonable clean
It's a kinda steep house roof so it stays sun baked, pretty clean I'd guess. I'm just using one down-spout and it was coming down very hard and the basin I'm using to catch the rain, I think it might be a 20 gallon tub, maybe 30? but it only overflowed for a little while it was pouring the hardest. I was on the deck watching the flow and it took a long time to begin to overflow even during a hard downpour. As that basin fills up, the water pressure increases and the pool fills faster.

I wish I could get this water clear before I pump it back in the house. I gotta work out the Science! As much as I'd really like to, I doubt I will be adding another pool.

Good Night!

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Not long after I logged off last message, it started to rain and it rained for almost 4 hours and my rain collector worked great.
Awesome! Great to see a good plan come together! I should have mentioned our lack of rain sooner, it started to rain early this morning and came down nice and slow for about 4-5 hours. Sadly, too late for my neighbor's corn, which burned up from lack of rain 2-3 weeks ago.

Reactions: Parka

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
I'm just gonna post pics and Discuss... Parka Parka Self Reporting!

This first pic is about the patches on the Outside Pool. Notice how a bubble formed right at the spot where the vinyl was pierced. This patch in particular has held for three days without any leaking but it will fail as the patch tends to separate from the pool. The pool is the weak link in this Backyard water treatment facility. And the pool is at full capacity now since smartly & handsomely being topped off by rain water from the roof, Good Call! Any ole way, I got some special Loctite vinyl glue in transit, for a more permanent repair.
Bubble under patch.jpg

Now this next picture is very exciting! I am almost positive that this is a Dragon Fly nymph or 'Naiad', I netted it up from the pool and at first I thought it was a dead land insect maybe, but when I touched it, it took off, took off like a Water Grass Hopper! I put it in my 20 gallon long window tank, for now...
Dragonfly nymph.jpg

Almost all of my Fancy Splashers have a Degree! Decoy, in the middle, below, he just achieved his Doctorate in Camouflage and now, He insists to be addressed as: Doctor Decoy!
Doctor Decoy.jpg

When Frass mentioned plankton, I mixed some green pool water with some water from the ponds edge, a pond at the park. Let's see what grows.
NOT pickle juice..jpg

I added these, two more circulation pumps, for a total of 6, to keep the waters of Chicago on the move. It has been 2 days since I added the Green Water to Chicago. In 2 more days I hope to see it begin to clear and after one week to ten days, that is how often I need to do a 50% water change on the 500 gallon Cleveland.
circulation pumps.jpg

Look how Smart & Educated My Flashy Splashers have become!
My Flashy Splashers!.jpg

I think it's a pretty shade of green!
after 2 days.jpg

Good Night!

ten watt.jpg

Attachments

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Ha! you're thinking of Love Will Find A Way. My mind wasn't on love, Life will find a way needs the Jurassic Park theme somewhere in the background and Jeff Goldblum saying "Life Finds a Way". Hey, maybe I was mixing song lyrics and movie quotes, It wasn't "life will find a way", it was "life finds a way".

• Haha

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
I was gone all day yesterday and I had to leave before sunrise and when I got back about 5pm, one of my patches leaked and we lost about 300 gallons again, from the pool. All I had to do was pinch the patch back in place and it held fine overnight. The good thing, it started raining for a couple hours after I got the patch back on and the pool is only about an inch below full now. And then today I worked with that loctite vinyl glue, it is very similar to contact cement. I'm hoping for a patch that won't need fussed with every day to stay sealed.

I can sing later!

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
It would be good if you had a rigid-wall pool, maybe one of those 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock trough. Those are tough.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
somewhere in the background and Jeff Goldblum
Sing it with me!.jpg

My patches are holding up just fine since I got that glue.
Patched up.jpg

one of those 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock trough
Yes, plus, Double Plus, keep the pool too, my new career in water management is making for a fun summer, we are talking Dog Days in a week...

It's been 8 days since last water change. I will do one today in the Posh Cleveland. This nitrate sample below is from 2 days ago. It looks like near but less than 40 ppm.
almost time.jpg

This pic shows how long the roots are on the water lettuce, about 18 inches or longer and they are thick. Sometimes I grab a fistful of water lettuce and put it in Cleveland and my Swimmers eat it all up.
water lettuce roots.jpg

The hair algae seems to be dying back and the moving waters in Chicago got some of it twisted all up.twisted algae.jpg

And the time is near that get these roots in the tank, such fun, it just is.Land Plants.jpg

Good Afternoon and Good Day!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store