Above the Tavern with Parka!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Hey Parka!
Hey Frassy! HOORAY for Sass Frassington!
What's goin' on in your world?
Well, I got a few pics to answer with...

I enjoy my watering duties at the Garden, lot's of nice big tomatoes!
at the garden!.jpg

Without any pics, allow me to explain that I joined the Pagans for the Summer Solstice Ritual. It was really nice!

Now these next two pics, I have a metal disc hanging from a yard staff that sometimes, I shoot at it with my B-Buh gun, lil pump up rifle, very accurate! But look at the frog in the second pic!
target practice.jpgFrog in target!.jpg

Well, I had two small holes in the inflatable top ring and it caused me to lose a couple hundred gallons one day, but I'm Okay now, I was so deflated emotionally when i saw that! A Squirrel did it, they were interested in that filter floss that I had placed midway down the flow-out drain pipe and it's my belief that their sharp claws pierced the top ring. Even patched, it tends to very slowly deflate. I keep a bike pump plugged in 24-7 for inflation maintenance, very exciting!
patches.jpg

I think Iv'e done four water changes so far with this set-up. I't's not very automated and I have been a LOUSY water scientist! I have not read up on ANYTHING, I think I best I understand why the water won't get clear in the pool, it stays pea soup colored.

The Posh Cleveland enjoying a water change.jpgMighty Chicago 75 percent full.jpg
You've gone silent for over two weeks.
I also been riding my Boss Bike erry day! It's so stinkin hot though... So I like to go in the early evening after the brutal heat has let up a bit, mostly good times!
Thanks for checking on me! Happy!

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Okay, I got my answer, You're doing fine and busy-busy.

Great looking plants and produce at the garden-awesome! That poor little gray tree frog doesn't know what a bad choice he made for a hiding spot-Ha! Had to be quite an acrobat to get there.

I'm no water chemistry expert, but I do know that sunlight + nutrient-rich water = algae. Not sure there is anything natural you can do about that, although it does seem like the nutrients would get used up with no "waste producers" in the pond.

I had a pet squirrel years ago. I was constantly being asked, "man, what happened to you, did you get into some briars ?" Cute and cool pet, but I stayed scratched up, head to toe. They do have incredibly sharp claws, but then I guess they need them, who wants to fall out of an 80 foot tree? Might have just wanted a drink, if it's been as dry there as in my neck of the woods.

Remember commandment No. 1, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Reactions: Parka

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
You're doing fine and busy-busy.
Somewhat occupied rather than busy! A guy like me needs plenty of rest, including loafing off at my convenience.
I had a pet squirrel years ago.
Somehow I'm not surprised, that is so cool! You are a He-Man of Nature! I knew it! Now I'm even more convinced it was a squirrel. It really seemed they were interested in that white filter floss, little bits of it were scattered on the ground near where I placed it in the drain. I don't know how squirrels drink water, I think they might prefer droplets, another thing, I have never seen squirrels in the water, or even near the water's edge, do you know if a squirrel can drink out of a bowl or a bird bath? I saw two squirrels today that were over-heating, this was about 5pm and I was riding through the wooded park and these squirrels were laying sprawled out on pavement in the shade, I think they were trying to cool off. And they both moved kinda slow as I passed, I felt for the lil guys. Anyway, I think my squirrel was either trying to get material to line its nest, or it was trying to drink from the filter floss?
sunlight + nutrient-rich water = algae.
Here is what is happening. When I water change Cleveland into the outdoor pool, after just a day the nitrate test shows zero but the water is green, that single cell algae, is that what it's called?

The crazy part happens when I re-fill Chicago with green pool water. The entire tank goes cloudy for a couple days and then Hair Algae forms and then after another couple days, the Hair Algae sort of coalesces into masses that are easy to remove. So I had a whole bunch of hair algae and went ahead and put it in Posh Cleveland last night and they ate it all up, my Goldfish and Koi!

Now, this last re-fill in Chicago, I used tap water this time because I'm just thinking it might be a good idea as opposed to recycling the same approx 2,000 gallons involved in this set-up every time, because besides nitrates, it just seems like other elements or compounds or substances might also get too concentrated.

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Interesting questions about squirrel drinking habits. "Nut", my pet, drank from one of those hamster/gerbil type bottles with the stainless steel tube and ball bearing. I'll bet they do drink droplets of leaves and such but come to standing water when necessary.

Just a theory on the algae. I'm guessing that the unicellular "green water" algae flourishes in strong sunlight. When transferred to Chicago with less light, it dies and loses its chlorophyll , making the water cloudy. Hair algae spores transferred in with the water capitalize on the released nutrients and began to grow, perhaps because they don't need as much light. Sounds like you can control the hair algae by physically removing it-great that the koi and goldfish enjoy it so much. I agree with the influx of new water. There are always compounds that don't get broken down and tend to concentrate.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Interesting questions about squirrel drinking habits. "Nut", my pet, drank from one of those hamster/gerbil type bottles with the stainless steel tube and ball bearing. I'll bet they do drink droplets of leaves and such but come to standing water when necessary.

Just a theory on the algae. I'm guessing that the unicellular "green water" algae flourishes in strong sunlight. When transferred to Chicago with less light, it dies and loses its chlorophyll , making the water cloudy. Hair algae spores transferred in with the water capitalize on the released nutrients and began to grow, perhaps because they don't need as much light. Sounds like you can control the hair algae by physically removing it-great that the koi and goldfish enjoy it so much. I agree with the influx of new water. There are always compounds that don't get broken down and tend to concentrate.
It's just a fun situation the have going on, plus I'm becoming a Legit Mad Water Scientist! Effin Exciting! Listen, I will chatter later, in the meantime, Erry Body wants to say hey!

Greetings from The Hard Working Akron!
Greetings from The Hard Working Akron.jpg

A Tip of the Feathered Cap from The Posh Cleveland!
A tip a the feathered cap from The Posh Cleveland!.jpg

A Great Big Hello from The Mighty Chicago!
A big hello from the Mighty Chicago!.jpg

And finally, Inflation Maintenance!Floatation device leakage!.jpg

A big hello from the Mighty Chicago!.jpg

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Good Afternoon! I took nitrate tests again with similar results.
1. Akron
2. Cleveland
3. Chicago
4. Outdoor pool
Akron Cleveland Chicago Outdoor Pool nitrate water test.jpg

The biggest surprise for me since building my first large tank is how often my group of Goldfish and Koi need a water change because of high levels nitrates.
I tried cutting down on feeding and my guys were starving! I had a few or more sickly Goldfish over the past few months and um, when I cut back on food, some of them got cannibalized... I'm learning that it is not ideal to try to raise Koi and Goldfish together because the Koi grow much faster and I think it causes stress on the smaller Goldfish.

Another unexpected surprise is just how well these under-gravel filters are working, in all three of my tanks. So far, every time I remove a pre-filter, the sponges are NOT close to being clogged, these things are running maintenance-free. Have a look at the Akron, that pump is rated at 1,200 GPH and the water stays clear, and or clears fast when it gets stirred up.
UG pre-filter and pump.jpg

This last pic is my bowl of Amazon Sword plants, they got engulfed in Hair Algae! That makes me a Mad Scientist!
an algae problem.jpg

Outdoor Pool, available for water transfers!.jpg

Attachments

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Akron looks absolutely pristine. Most of the carp family are eating and pooping machines. Best in ponds, in my world. Biological filtration is great, but end result is nitrates, nitrates and more nitrates.

I wish protein skimming worked in freshwater because they actually remove the waste from the system in the pre-ammonia stage. That way a lot of the nitrites and nitrates never even form. I've seen FW protein skimmers for ponds or heavily stocked commercial grow out tanks, but never one that was really effective. Difference in bubble formation makes foam fractionation work in saltwater. About the best we can do is nutrient export with heavy planting so that plants uptake/remove them. Should be happening to some extent in your pond as you feed it nutrient/waste rich water from the tanks.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Akron looks absolutely pristine
Thanks!
Most of the carp family are eating and pooping machines.
I wouldn't mind separating my Koi and Goldfish anyway, I have ten Koi that are going to be three years old this year and some of them are getting large, I might try to re-home re-sell them, maybe. Since I didn't get my next tank built on schedule, The NYC of Plywood Aquariums, even if I keep my Koi, I want to get some other kinds of freshwater fish.
I wish protein skimming worked in freshwater
Well, my question is, doesn't a skimmer on FW still serve as an important part of filtration? If there is plenty of surface agitation on a FW tank, is a skimmer even important?
About the best we can do is nutrient export with heavy planting
And that is just another layer of the hobby that I love! Live plants, in and out of the water.

Parka Parka , Self Reporting!

1.This first pic is after Chicago got topped off with Outdoor Pool Water, about a 250 gallon transfer. I had a large Hair Algae bloom on the last top off, I will be watching and reporting on this water as it clears. Chicago has four large circulation pumps and four air stones so the water is moving around pretty well and I also like to use fans to blow air at the water surface.
Water in, water out.jpg

This last pic is my DIY rain water collector so I can add fresh rain water into the Outdoor Pool. My Water System just got a Huge UP-Grade with the addition of fresh rain water!

Rain water collector.jpg

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Wow! Incoming water is really green isn't it. Wonder if there is any accompanying "plankton", which would make great live food for the little guys.

Well, my question is, doesn't a skimmer on FW still serve as an important part of filtration? If there is plenty of surface agitation on a FW tank, is a skimmer even important?
When I opined on a skimmer, I was talking about a foam fractionating skimmer like they use in marine aquariums. Got to have the salt water to form a really dense, tiny bubble size foam that chemically attracts proteinaceous waste, dissolved organic compounds (doc) and the like to the surface of the bubbles which then rise and overflow into a collection container, removing the waste completely from the system, unlike filters that trap the waste, but it remains in the system and breaks down (in the case of urea to nitrate) or doesn't (in the case of doc) and must be removed by water changes.

You are right, skimming water from the surface is the best way to filter (one of the reasons I like sump filtration :naughty:) and keeps that oily protein film from forming. Strong agitation does break it up.

Love your rainwater collection/water change system-simple and effective as long as the roof is reasonable clean. Wouldn't provide me with much water though, we seem to be missing all the rain where I live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store