african tiger fish info please..

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
i'm thinking of buying an african tigerfish and would like some info on them like temprement, max size, what foods to feed (can they be trained to eat frozen foods?), tankmates, growth rates, etc..

please include your experiences on rearing them, would love to hear other peoples good and bad points on keeping them..

also, i've heard of 2 species vittatus and goliath, what's the difference with both? which one is better?

please post some pics of you tigerfish if you can, would really appreciate it.. thanks :)

YOULOOKLIKEAFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
VIRGINIA
too big for any tank under 1000 gallons. No tank mates, even if they're bigger then him he'll just take him apart peice by peice. my advice choose a different less expensive fish

YOULOOKLIKEAFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
VIRGINIA
H. goliath = 6 ft
H. vittatus = 3 ft
not smart to stick your hands or other appendage into the tank containing this potentially dangerous or even deadly fish
"a perfect machine devised by nature for one purpose. "

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
can we get info from not a nub

Reactions: SBM

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
:newbie:

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
I have one in my 1850g with 25 or more aggresive cichlids, tank size does play a part in whether it will be bothered by tank mates. He does chase one of my smaller balas if it is only for a second, but it is not a "I want to eat you chase" b/c if he did want to eat the bala it would be gone now, more so it is a territory thing. I have to agree that 1000g tank b/c of the fact that they are chase predator, and they are fast, faster than any fish that I have had.

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
kido said:
i'm thinking of buying an african tigerfish and would like some info on them like temprement, max size, what foods to feed (can they be trained to eat frozen foods?), tankmates, growth rates, etc..

please include your experiences on rearing them, would love to hear other peoples good and bad points on keeping them..

also, i've heard of 2 species vittatus and goliath, what's the difference with both? which one is better?

please post some pics of you tigerfish if you can, would really appreciate it.. thanks :)
African Tiger fish are very skittish fish that need a long tank when they do the "dash" of death. I have heard when of some people keeping them that they literally rammed themselves to death.

they eat usually feeders, can be weaned onto frozen foods but RARELY weened to pellets.

Growth rate IMO is not fast but that is just my opinion. The most commoly available species is H. Vittatus every once in a while H. Goliath and H..Forkshali (not sure on spelling). IMO Vittatus is the most beautiful. They have a very nice proportioned body shape and have nice sharp edged fins.

Most of the pics of Goliaths I have seen are more stockier and their finage doesn't seem to be very pointed. More rounded in fact.

Forkshali (spelling??) Seem to have the same finage as vittatus but have a very slender body.

I am not a ATF expert so please feel free to correct me.

hemptation88

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
new jersey
i got a small one in a 55g and im planin on gettin a bigger tank. My atf gets scared very easily and bumps into the glass alot, the other day he bent a tooth but not its startin to recover and a week ago it jumped out across the room and landed next to my comp tower. i got it off live pretty easily, basically i feed it live till it got comfy in the new tank(dont kno if thats neccesary but w/e) then i starved it for a week untill it started goin for frozen krill. thats all i feed it now except for wen i wana have a lil fun w/ feeders lol. I keep my atf w/ sum bala sharks and red tail barracudas and they did fine, but he killed my rainbow shark, small puffer, and bit a chunk off my saber tusk barracuda. I really like the fish except that its such a bittchh when its scared. Maybe a fix for this wuld be to school em??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store