african tiger fish info please..

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
ashdavid said:
That looks like a Vittatus in your Avatar. :cheers:
Correct. He's my nicest looking Vittatus proportionately at this time.

hemptation, pics would really help. The info you gave is not enough to differentiate. ALL my ATFs have pointed fins.

guppy, I don't think so. These animals are usually pretty clever. Besides, a full-grown ATF isn't going to be at the edge (shallows) of a pond or lake to able to successfully strike and catch those guys.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
tigerfangs said:
Correct. He's my nicest looking Vittatus proportionately at this time.

hemptation, pics would really help. The info you gave is not enough to differentiate. ALL my ATFs have pointed fins.

guppy, I don't think so. These animals are usually pretty clever. Besides, a full-grown ATF isn't going to be at the edge (shallows) of a pond or lake to able to successfully strike and catch those guys.
Do you keep your ATF's all in one tank? How many you got now? What eles do you keep them with?

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Yes, I keep all 5 in the same tank. Tankmates include 5 african cichlids, 3 bichirs, an Afer knife, some tinfoil barbs (dithers), and 2 tarpon. Its great! There is hardly any fighting, just a chase here and there.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Awesome! If thats the case I am going to get a few more ATF's, especially a goliath.

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Go for it! I can't promise you it'll work. Mine have been together for 1 1/2yrs, but when I introduced them they were only about 2 1/2 - 3". I believe I read that your's is 12" now. That might be a little tougher to do as it is difficult to find them larger than 5-6" in any numbers for sale. I'd advise to get the largest you can get and add at least 3 more, or your original may go ballistic and kill the new ones. Also, if you're thinking about getting a Goliath, they aren't as aggressive as the Vittatus as juveniles. What I'm trying to say is, don't get a Goliath now with the only other ATF being a single Vittatus. It will most likely kill that Goliath. If you have several Vittatus they will scrap amongst each other and should leave the Goliath alone. As long as the Goliath gets its share of food it will outgrow the Vittatus and then you won't have to worry anymore.

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
The smallest is 12" and the largest is 14". They'd grow faster if fed live foods, but I don't want to chance a parasite outbreak.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
tigerfangs said:
The smallest is 12" and the largest is 14". They'd grow faster if fed live foods, but I don't want to chance a parasite outbreak.
how fast are their grow rate's in your experience? from 4-12"? also if fed with live foods how much faster would the grow rates be?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
KIDO:

tigerfangs said:
Go for it! I can't promise you it'll work. Mine have been together for 1 1/2yrs, but when I introduced them they were only about 2 1/2 - 3".

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
The TRUST said:
Ah cool! Learning new stuff everyday. :) Reason I said rounded was because I saw them in Japanese Magainzes as juvies. Most of the ones the call "goliath" are shown having rounder tails. I'll try to dig up a pic.
would it be this one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store