african tiger fish info please..

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
I have never had a problem with my ATF being skittish, but thats just my experience.

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
ashdavid, the bigger the tank the less skittish. In a 180g, mine were very skittish. In a 900g the same fish are not at all. In your monstrosity of a tank, I would believe that they'd act just as if they were in the wild. The larger the tank the more secure they feel.

youlooklikeafish, those sizes are reported maximum sizes in the wild. A lot of what you posted is staight off of Aquaria Central. I wonder how old that info is anyway. There are several people here inculding myself that have extensive experience with them, and they can be successfully kept in very large home aquariums. They can have tankmates as long as they are well fed and the tankmates are big enough to not be seen as prey. They aren't the meanest fish around. For the most part, the kill to eat as most true predators do. They can be territorial, but in juvenile stages many get killed off by more aggressive fish such as large cichlids, african pike, etc...

Trust, I agree with you that the Vittatus is the most attractive of the tigers. They are slimmer than Goliath, but the fins on the Goliath are not rounded. They are very much pointed, but colorless except for the caudal which has lots of red in it.

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
tigerfangs said:
Trust, I agree with you that the Vittatus is the most attractive of the tigers. They are slimmer than Goliath, but the fins on the Goliath are not rounded. They are very much pointed, but colorless except for the caudal which has lots of red in it.
Ah cool! Learning new stuff everyday. :) Reason I said rounded was because I saw them in Japanese Magainzes as juvies. Most of the ones the call "goliath" are shown having rounder tails. I'll try to dig up a pic.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
thanks for the reply guys :)

ashdavid, as with trust i would really like to see some pics of your vittatus :)

tigerfangs, thanks for the info.. could you post pics of a vittatus and a goliath just to see some differences between them? and i saw a pic of your vittatus in your gallery boy that is are really nice fish :) .. one question though, what type of frozen foods have you gotten this guy to eat regularly? and i was expecting them to be top level fish like that of an arowana, do they spend more time at the top or bottom? and are they active fish? or do they just stay in one place?

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
They stay at the top. I only feed mine frozen foods, it took 2 weeks of staving him until he was just skin and bones, I really could see his bone structure, I though he wasn't going to make it then whack he made mince meat out of a dead shrimp . As for the pics I have tried before to get pics but he dose not stop moving, and when you get near the tank or come into the room he gets all excited and swims all over the tank looking for food(always looking up I must say, b/c thats where the food comes from). I will give it another shot , but no promises.LOL :hitting:

hemptation88

Candiru
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
new jersey
i was told mine is a goliath because of the pointed tail instead of it being rounded... It also doesnt have alot of red in the tail, just very light small strip of red on the whole tail with black at the end. Vittatus or goliath??

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Do you think a full grown goliath in an outdoor pool would take care of the heron and racoon problem? Hmmmm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store