Anybody into Geophagines????

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I really like them in general, I've had "jurupari" and "surinamenis" (I put the quotes b/c I'm using the trade name, not trying to be specific on the actual species). I had a large male red hump in the 125 that was a remnant of the old mostly SA/ some CA setup I've had since 2006. It died from injuries caused by the Paratilapia and a Dimidiochromis kiwinge
Here is a picture of it, along with a Bujurquina sp. I no longer have either

bill88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
london
i have 2x daemons, 2x red head tapajos and 2 jurupari. they are currently quite small and lives with my silver aro

nuth88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Firestone, Colorado
Vincent Fu;2090704; said:
The Weidner book is excellent.
Help a brother out, are you talking about the out of print "South American Eartheaters" Book? I have borrowed it from the GCCA and can't find a copy anywhere.

On and not to derail:

4x-Alfitrons
5x-Tapajos II "Peacface"

and this week will be adding

6x-Albios
4x-Gymno Pasche Pasche.

Nuthman Abides~

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
4 heckelii
5 balzani
1 surinamensis

I <3 eartheaters!

oscarluvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
TEXAS
i have 2 suris love em

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Species I keep are,

Geophagus sp. 'Araguaia Orange Heads' (Very Similiar to Tapajos)
Acarichthys heckelii
Geophagus altifrons 'Rio Tocantins'
Gymnogeophagus balzanii

Varying numbers of each. I also keep Microgeophagus altispinosa but they aren't really Eartheaters ;)

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I just bought 5 surinamensis babies off AquaBid yesterday, hopefully they'll be here tomorrow or Wed, those are my favorites.
This is my S. leucosticta. They go by so dang many names though that I'm not ever sure what to call him.

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Just call him a Leuco/Leucosticta, common names are useless. Great looking fish.

Unfortunately all of mine are still juveniles around the 4" mark, although my altifrons has jetted up about an inch since I last photographed him.

1 1/2" Gymnogeophagus balzanii

My personal favourite, Geophagus altifrons 'Rio Tocantins'.

Geophagus sp. 'Araguaia Orange Head', still showing very little orange in the head but it's still slowly coming through.

Acarichthys heckelii

Half-group shot of my Eartheater tank to finish off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store