Anybody into Geophagines????

TPS reports

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2007
virginia beach
the frequently get in geophagus jurupari at my lfs and i plan to get one someday, they seem fascinating.

how bid does this species get?
what is their temperament like, i am under the impression that they aren't very aggressive.
how fast do they grow?
are they demanding bioload wise an do they do better in schools?
what size tank would be good for a few of them and could they hang with a larger aggressive cichlid like an oscar?
if somebody can answer even one of my questions i would be happy, thanks.

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Will Hayward;2092433; said:
Wow. Beautiful.

What are the largest you have?
Out of the Eartheaters in that aquarium, my Altifrons would be the largest at probably a little under 5".

TPS reports;2092488; said:
the frequently get in geophagus jurupari at my lfs and i plan to get one someday, they seem fascinating.

how bid does this species get?
what is their temperament like, i am under the impression that they aren't very aggressive.
how fast do they grow?
are they demanding bioload wise an do they do better in schools?
what size tank would be good for a few of them and could they hang with a larger aggressive cichlid like an oscar?
if somebody can answer even one of my questions i would be happy, thanks.
Satanoperca jurupari, but they're generally Satanoperca leucosticta depending on where you're buying from.

Off the top of my head..

- 10-12" Fish.
- Peaceful but can be nippy towards their own kind and other similiarly shaped species like most eartheaters.
- Growth rate is probably pretty average, though slow compared to some SA/CA Species, I'd say most are around 1/4-1/2" a month.
- They're probably slightly better on bioload than most species as they will scavenge most leftover food from the substrate.
- I'd say a 125G minimum as they will do better in shoals. 5'x18" footprint or larger would be ideal. I keep my eartheaters in a 4x2' Footprint 140Gal.
- Personally I wouldn't keep them with an Oscar but I'm sure it's possible. Like any American Cichlid combination, keep an eye on it.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
That's what mine was labeled as and the most common name for him-Jurapari. These guys know better than me but I don't think the Juraparis are actually "Geophagus " even though they're Eartheaters. It gets confusing.
They get like 10" max, mine is quite the little brat if he can get his bluff in on another fish. He picks at Loaches, Plecs, Raphaels, he's just NOT a good community fish lol He's in with my 4" Veiltail Oscar right now (the Eartheater is 6") but the Oscar holds her own. The Eartheater isn't very 'tough' at all, just with fish that let him push them around. I'll never get another of this specsis, that's for sure. They're said to be passive Cichlids but I don't really find that to be true. My male Green Terror is great with all other non-cichlid fish and GT's are supposed to be so aggressive. Oscars do better as 'boss' of their tanks, if this male Eartheater I've got will allow my Oscar to be boss (she's a female-long story) then he can stay in that 6 ft tank. Otherwise he'll have to go to a 4' tank alone.
I hope others have had better luck with this specsis, I'm not impressed though. The Geos I've known haven't been this bad at all.

Will Hayward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
Canada
www.alternativeaquariums.com
I haven't kept any personally, but at work have often had them instore.

However, I do have interest in them. They are a good selling fish, but you have to show the customers what the adults look like as smaller ones don't have the flare the adults do. They are often fairly coulourful, but its usually in shiny pearly scales like a speckle instead of the bold colours some adults have. They don't seem to grow too fast, but I'm not sure what 3-4 meals a day could do to them. Also they eat food from the sand too. Feed sinking foods. They don't seem messy, infact clean the sand up a bit.

The adults from some species have very long trailing fins. The personality of the babies are "Curious" and Slightly shy, or "cautious" rather. Smaller ones doe great with smaller and slightly larger fish. I have heard the adults are the same, but their size means they still have the potential to do damage if they were so inclined. And I've also been told that when in good sized groups, they keep to themselves mostly.

If you want just one or a couple in a tank, you could go with something as low as 65 gallons. But they do like groups so a 4x2 foot tank or larger would work best.

With Oscars, well, I wouldn't mix them because i feel that the dominant oscar personality would detract from that of the Geo, but it's been done before with good success.

As I said, I havent kept them other than at the store I work at, but this is what I tell interested customers, before telling them to research on their own. Keepers Please correct me if I'm wrong.

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Ksane;2092545; said:
I don't think the Juraparis are actually "Geophagus " even though they're Eartheaters. It gets confusing.
'Eartheater' is a broad term used to group the species of the families Acarichthys, Biotodoma, Geophagus, Guinacara, Gymnogeophagus, Retroculus and Satanoperca.

It's useful because these fish generally share much the same temperaments and feeding characteristics, with of a few exceptions of course. They're also visually quite similiar. People often mix it up and call species like A. heckelii and Satanoperca sp. "Geophagus", which they aren't. It's very similiar to fish referred to as "Acara's", and "Dwarves".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store