Asian red tail cat.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They will eat fish half their size and try to eat fish as big as they are. I have not kept them but the people I knew that did said that at night they would bully other fish. An 8" one ripped the fins off a full grown oscar.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
You have to understand that these are not just big fish, but they're straight up mean. They're territorial and aggressive and hungry. Add all of that together, you've got yourself a devil in disguise.

If you have proof of an existing specimen over 2ft long, please don't hesitate to let us know. Remember, proof.

KILLERKOI

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2006
DIRTY JERSEY
www.recdir.com
it sux that i dont have any tank big enough for one .the biggest tank i got is a 95g bow at this time. i have a good friend at work that has a 550g or so custom tank with two stupid tiger barbs in it and nothing else cause his 3yro daughter is afraid of bigfish. before she was born he had a 18'' wolf fish and it was pretty scary even he was affraid of it :cry: :ROFL: but the baby came in the wolf went out and the tank is dying for a red tail to take over .infact i seen one today at the LFS it was about 4 to 5'' and was $49.00 as soon as seen it the dam fishtank addiction took over :screwy: and i quickly called him to try to talk him into buying it and promissed to maintain the tank and even pay for food but he said he iwill talk to his wife about it so u how that goes but ihope she lets him get it . BTW. how quick do they grow could i getaway with holding it in a spare 55g that i have for about 3months till we prep. the tank ??????

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
tnmurf said:
There is one in our LFS that is over 2 feet long.

Murf
It depends on which species is being called an "asian redtail catfish",
if it is what fishbase calls a redtail and what I think of when I hear the name it is a Hemibagrus nemurus and while they are listed as up to 26" I personally have never seen one bigger than maybe 18", fish base has a picture from Jean-francois Helias of one that is getting close.
On the other hand the Hemibagrus wyckoides is sometimes labeled as an "asian redtail" as well and it is listed as up to 52". this picture is by Johnny Jensen.

tn_Henem_u2.jpg

hemibagrus_wyckioides.jpg

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
KILLERKOI said:
it sux that i dont have any tank big enough for one .the biggest tank i got is a 95g bow at this time. i have a good friend at work that has a 550g or so custom tank with two stupid tiger barbs in it and nothing else cause his 3yro daughter is afraid of bigfish. before she was born he had a 18'' wolf fish and it was pretty scary even he was affraid of it :cry: :ROFL: but the baby came in the wolf went out and the tank is dying for a red tail to take over .infact i seen one today at the LFS it was about 4 to 5'' and was $49.00 as soon as seen it the dam fishtank addiction took over :screwy: and i quickly called him to try to talk him into buying it and promissed to maintain the tank and even pay for food but he said he iwill talk to his wife about it so u how that goes but ihope she lets him get it . BTW. how quick do they grow could i getaway with holding it in a spare 55g that i have for about 3months till we prep. the tank ??????

I think it should be fine in there for only 3 months until you get the bigger tank.

KILLERKOI

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2006
DIRTY JERSEY
www.recdir.com
hi, guppy thanx very much for the pix :thumbsup: :thumbsup: just wondering about some factors when we're going to choose or order the RTC .Now the smaller RTC of the two pix is that the one that only gets to around 18'' and do u know which of the two is more commonly sold in fishstores ? oh and btw my friend talked his wife into it :woot: and we are going to redo and prep the tank for the beast!!!!! i wanted to keep him in my 55 till he out grows it. reason being is that im buying the dam thing for him and i would just like to watch it closely, grow, and eat for a while in my tank till he gets a hold of it and enjoys it for years.
How long do u think that it'll take for him to grow out of with a good meaty diet ????

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
the only things i hear when talking about asian redtail catfishes are they grow big (24" max i think) and are nasty and mean so better to keep it alone ;)

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
don't think there killers just hungry

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
The upper (smaller) one is the one I usually see in LFS. I do not know how fast they grow but an Aquaculture report says they start breeding in 16-18 months and reach full size in about 4 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store