Asian red tail cat.

Batman

Feeder Fish
Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Hello,

I am new to this web site. I use to have 4 Asian Red Tails and 2 Mystus Wyckii.
The Wyckii were 10" and The Red Tails I got around 5". One Red Tail killed all the
other Red Tails and then killed one of the Wyckii when it got bigger. I was new to this
and did not realize they could not be put together. I also had one of the Wyckii with
2 12" Midas Cichlids and 2 14" Wolf Cichlids and the Wyckii killed all 4. These are the
meanest fish I have ever owned. I am going to get some more as soon as I get tanks
to keep them in. Godd luck with yours but be careful.

God Bless,

Batman

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
KILLERKOI;178176; said:
what do u mean when u say killers are they that aggressive or is it mostly cause of there size over everything else??? always wanted one but glad to find this all out before it ate my dog :eek:
there very cute little fish until they hit the 10" size and then they become B******S they will attack anything in your tank weather it's biger or smaller than the fish well mine did !!!

croc 2-3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
PA
KILLERKOI;178176; said:
what do u mean when u say killers are they that aggressive or is it mostly cause of there size over everything else??? always wanted one but glad to find this all out before it ate my dog :eek:
I kept them & they take no mess unlike the S.A. red tails I kept these start trouble with tankmates. I tried to keep 2 in a tank but they tried to kill each other even with plenty of hides & other cats in the tank. I've kept them with shovelnose & channel cats. Mine fought with the cichlids like he was a cichlid squared off fin & body movement the whole works lip to head lock( as it put most of the cichlids mouth in his)they get at least 20in. so need room & tankmate larger & less territorial then them. As each time I put territorial fish(cat or cichlid) with them it would fight. the shovelnose, girrafe,& other non territorial fish large enough to not swallow where left alone. which is why it probaly didn't bother the dithers.

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
industrialsquad;518200; said:
do you guys think that mixing this cat with an arowana is a bad idea? even if the aro is a bit larger?
Yes, very bad idea!
The temperment of the Asain Rtc is alot higher then the silver arrowana. My S.A. 2ft Rtc Put teeth mark around my 19-20inche Tiger shovelnose!(it tried to eat it!) just Imagine what an Asian RTc will do? .....that kills for fun.

Asian_Redtail_Catfish

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2006
United States
The Asian Redtail Catfish is a very attractive fish..Too bad it is not a commuity fish where you can put it with others..They should be by themselves and in their own tanks...I bet the fish would be popular if only they were more peaceful..

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
This, I was told is an asian red tailed catfish by one of the moderators on planetcatfish.

At the moment I've got a 2' tigershovelnose in an 800 gallon tank along with 9 oscars and about 20 other various south and central american cichlids. The new guy, the asian red tail, is only 3" and is housed at the moment with a 3" blue channel cat. The plan is to eventually put them in the 800. Problem is I keep getting contradictory information as to what I have exactly and how big they get and how fast they grow and how aggressive they are. Kind of frustrating really..... Rule of thumb at the moment is the fish that go in the 800 have to be atleast 7" or the tiger shovelnose will view them as a meal. There are a handfull of fish in the 800 that are about 5-6 inches that he doesn't touch. Now I'm not sure if that's because I hand feed him every five days or so with a fresh killed tank raised 7" bluegill or not... At any rate, I've been scouring the net for accurate information on asian red tail cats and it's getting quite confusing. So if someone, or a few people could answer these simple questions it's be great....

1.) What exactly do I have?
2.) Will it attain lengths of 38"?
3.) What is their growth rate? (keep in mind my fish live in pristeen water conditions and are fed well)

Lastly, I'm sorry to Hijack the thread but I feel that the info provided by the experts will help everyone reading this thread!

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

TFG:)

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
sorry for bumping, but id like to know what the one above is exactly aswell,
is it infact a Asian red tail?

They are on sale at my local fish store for 1.99!

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
Well, needless to say i will be taking him back to the LFS, they had him marked as some SA species ataining a foot max,,and being a good bottom feeder for a community tank, he was only 1.99!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store