Asian red tail cat.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
guppy said:
It depends on which species is being called an "asian redtail catfish",
if it is what fishbase calls a redtail and what I think of when I hear the name it is a Hemibagrus nemurus and while they are listed as up to 26" I personally have never seen one bigger than maybe 18", fish base has a picture from Jean-francois Helias of one that is getting close.
On the other hand the Hemibagrus wyckoides is sometimes labeled as an "asian redtail" as well and it is listed as up to 52". this picture is by Johnny Jensen.
The bigger one Looks like a full grown version of what I saw at the store.

KILLERKOI

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2006
DIRTY JERSEY
www.recdir.com
ok, went to the LFS last night
to show my friend which cat we were going to get for this project. but it looked totally different from the pix. it was about 4 maybe 5" but it was really bulky and had wierd looking eyes like a puppet, but it was really active and was very playfuland fun to watch. when i asked the owner what type it was he said a "PHRACTOCEPHALUS HEMIOLIOTERUS" he was charging $49.99 but im not sure if it is at all the same RTC as we were talking about is that a different type all togather. or did the owner just didnt know what he selling ????? :confused:

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
i saw one yesterday at my lfs. it was about 7 or 8 in, beautiful colors the reddest tail ive seen, couldnt get him though, like my other fish too much. if anything i would have gotten one of the baby pbass they had for a mere $21...

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Those are south american but they have been introduced for farming in Thailand.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
M|L said:
I probably would not go anything less than a standard 180.

It's true that they grow much bigger to be sufficiently housed in a 2ft wide tank, but let's be serious here, who can show me a 3ft long asian red tailed catfish in captivity???? unheard of.
I've raised 5 over 3foot long. All were in my 50k+. The biggest was 50inches and weighed 90 lbs. 2 were killed by my 24inch black shark that bit through the plate on the top of the head. The other 3 died possibly from inhaling smoke fr

I agree with you that seldom does anybody get them over 3 feet inside home aquariums, but I think that will change now that several people have tanks of 2k and up.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
KILLERKOI said:
Hey ARAPAIMAG is the RTCs as aggressive as they are saying or is it more their size over everything else that makes it seem that they are?????? BTW what is a Black shark?????

Before I answer your question I want to apologize for my earlier reponse on this forum.> My answer was a mistake. I erred by thinking South American red tail and my sizes of my fish were based on my south american Phractocephalus hemioliopterus cats.

I have kept the asian redtail Hemibagrus nemurus formally mystus nemurus for 16 years. My largest and most aggressive of the 3 I have owned I grew to 18inches in a 240g. He was totally insane. He killed for fun. He almost died the first night I got him (from cichlid man Milo in Chigago). He killed a pair of Blue channel cats both over 24". He stripped their skin off as well just to further torture them. They bled a lot. The water was fouling when I found them the next morning.

When I put him in the tank the night before I was worried the channel cats were going to eat him, they are so thin for their length. So I put a tube if for him to hide in if he was threatened.

The tube did serve as a den for him and the only time any of the fish did not feel terrified was when he actually was in it resting.

I have had two others and neither of them were/are anywhere as viscious as the first one.

The killer black shark Morulius chrysophekadion is the $2.99 type sold in the pet shop at about 2". When small they are a fine community tank fish, however..

They grow big and when they do they will attack many much larger fish that can not turn around on them. They don't kill over night it can be just the constant badgering and deep wounds inflicted over a long period that eventually kill their victim.

I lost 2 large south american red tails Phractocephalus hemioliopterus and my baby arapaima gigas (Nemisis). She was harrassed from the time she was 2 feet till her death at less than 4 years old. She was 5 foot 5 inches and weighed 126 lbs. She was weighed on a local vets scale and her head and tail were touching the ground.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store